Torn off awning repair

Jul 30, 2018
Last year the rain got the better of the awning hanging off the side of our trailer, and ripped it clear of the plastic rail. I cleaned it up, removed the thread, etc, but I don’t think it’s going to be practical to see it back on. I don’t have an industrial machine and I value my fingers. I thought about maybe trying to staple it, but the bead itself probably wouldn’t let the stapler close, and the staples might come out or rust.

Looking for any suggestions on how to fix this. This is one of the last things to fix to get it set up to potentially loan to a medical professional.

IMG_0670.jpg

bheff

Super Active Member
Feb 24, 2011
NW Arkansas
Personally I would just throw it in the trash!
(I hate popup awnings)
But you probably want it...do you have any upholstery shops in your town? They could zip it back on quick and easy.

fourhallatts

Super Active Member
Jul 18, 2015
North Syracuse, New York
You can also look for a local awning shop. We took ours to our local Awning Mart which does awnings for buildings but also does RV awnings. They replaced our spline (the thing the slides into the track on the side of the roof). I'm glad we did it and it only us $75. For us it was money well spent. We like to have the awning up so we can leave shoes outside the camper door and they will stay fairly dry.

CamperChrissy

Nov 25, 2016
Chicago suburbs
Do you have a shop that does canvas work in your area? Or maybe put a Facebook post seeing if anyone in your area has a commercial sewing machine that they could use to sew the strip back on. You never know who may be out there - for example, I have a friend who works from her home using a commercial sewing machine to sew handmade karate belts for a local small business. You never know who in your area might be available!

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
I sewed mine back together. I used a speedy stitcher sewing awl, watched some videos on repairing sails and spend a couple days doing it.

It was not terribly hard but it was time consuming. My fingers survived.

cuppajoe

Aug 2, 2016
We ripped ours off pulling it out of our tiny garage. Took it to a marine shop that works on boat canvas and they had it ship shape in no time!