TV in the shop, and the big day is arriving next week...

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
So my TV, actually HV as my camper is a slide in pickup truck camper / pop up not a trailer, so Hauling Vehicle, is still in the shop, supply chain issues, the last of the parts arrived yesterday, but it is not fully done yet. I still have to get once the truck is done at that shop, I need to get the inspection done, go to the tax office, get the tags, then go to the tire shop and get my new tires thrown on and balanced (all 5) all while trying to keep up with work... Good thing it is SLOW right now...

The pop up still hasn't been picked up due to truck being down, but I can only do it on the weekends as it is about a 4 hour drive from me... so if I can't get the registration done today, then I will not have time before the holiday weekend to go up and get the camper.

The truck DOES have a fiberglass hi top camper shell on it, and I have a bed rig for it, I CAN go camping, I just REALLY wanted the standing height pop top...

Unfortunately with the repeated delays on completing my truck, although I am confident IT will be done before the big weekend, just not in time for me to fetch the camper. So that leaves me with some options I am not a fan of.

#1. Set up the camper shell sleeper and just have a good old fashioned go for it. It's going to be cold, possibly rainy, and I will have to set up the kitchen under a tarp rig, but I can make it work.
#2. Rent an RV, since I was planning on beach camping in an area where 4x4 is a must have, this is kind of a non starter.

I spend a lot of time, effort, and honestly money into getting ready for this weekend only to be thwarted possibly, or rushed like crazy at the very least by these stupid delays.

Maybe I'll just stay home for Thanksgiving, and go to Ren Fest for the weekend and camp there. No 4wd needed, and plenty of Mead available...

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA

#1. Set up the camper shell sleeper and just have a good old fashioned go for it. It's going to be cold, possibly rainy, and I will have to set up the kitchen under a tarp rig, but I can make it work.
Do this.
There will be plenty of other weekends to do it right.
Once the decision is made, the stress melts away.

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
Do this.
There will be plenty of other weekends to do it right.
Once the decision is made, the stress melts away.
A lot of the stress is the fact that the seller is holding the camper for me. He could easily sell it and we have had repeated delays. I feel lousy about this. And don't want to miss out, although there ARE other lightweight pop up slide ins coming up on the market, but this one is unique in that it has a jacknife sofa instead of a dinette. I admit I'm fat, dinettes and I are not friends... I can make do with a dinette and a TV tray but the sofa rig is just a better setup for me...

If this guy was closer I would have simply rented a pickup from Uhaul and gone and gotten it. Not a ton of these things in Houston Metro. Most of them are in the Rio Grande valley, areas around Dallas, and out west toward San Antonio... A few in Louisiana but the ones I Have seen there look pretty beat...

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Option 1 sounds like it could work so long as it doesn't leak on those rainy days and your body can still climb in/out of it. Yes, there is extra gear to bring and ultimately store when you get to camp but it would make you appreciate the camper more when you are able to pick it up.
Your actually fortunate the seller is not freaking out about you removing the camper as soon as possible. Many people especially near the holidays won't be as patient. Not that you have much choice unfortunately.

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
1/2 day at work and go get the camper asap.
Truck still not back in my hands. the new crank position sensor is defective, new one in tomorrow... Once we get the bugs worked out, I have to get tags, tires installed and THEN I can head out. We are already into the week and I have to be onsite mon - wed... Seriously doubt the tax office is going to be open Wed afternoon, or Friday at all. So I am shot out of the water for this weekend or next... The seller is holding the camper for me. And honestly if he wasn't so far away I would rent a Uhaul pickup to go get it.

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
An interesting update. Due to the holiday weekend the seller is literally going to be 15 minutes away from my house and we'll be bringing the camper from the DFW area down here so effectively hes going to arrange shipping!

He already knows the sale was contingent on the camper actually being in the condition he claims no soft spots no leaks and the only thing non functional is the heater which I believe is just a sail switch problem.

I talked to the shop about the truck last night and he claims everything is bolted back together he is just double checking his work pressure testing everything and priming The the fuel system and leaving The coils unplugged and spinning it over to get oil to the top end before he tries firing it off. And then we get to see if everything else wants to play nice...

If all goes as planned at the very least I will have the truck in my hands and the new tires swap them Before the camper arrives and then early next week I should be able to get the sticker for the registration and be good to load the camera on and be readyTo go traveling.

Of course my pastor has the saying that says that if you want to make God laugh tell him you have plans.

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
Hub is replaced, truck goes down the road nice and smooth now, no growl and the 4wd is not trying to stay engaged when it is in 2wd. Exhaust leak fixed, just needed bolts to be snugged up, more troubleshooting, cam is on bank 1 by 1 tooth. About an hours work, but needs to have a new phaser bolt as they are torque to yield bolts... Should be done in a couple of hours. Then drive cycle so we have a clean memory in the computer, and off to insepection, oil change, and done. Camper is on its way this weekend. Not crazy about the stake pocket anchors as I do NOT want to drill holes in my truck bed, and route a nut / washer between the 2 panels of the bed. Bleh... I wish this thing was built with the tie downs at the inner corner of lower box and wing so I can run turnbuckles to the in bed tie down / anchor points..

So not this weekend, but maybe next I can take off after work, grab the dog and go to Crystal Beach with the pooch and my fishing poles...

LadyEarp

Nov 12, 2022
So my TV, actually HV as my camper is a slide in pickup truck camper / pop up not a trailer, so Hauling Vehicle, is still in the shop, supply chain issues, the last of the parts arrived yesterday, but it is not fully done yet. I still have to get once the truck is done at that shop, I need to get the inspection done, go to the tax office, get the tags, then go to the tire shop and get my new tires thrown on and balanced (all 5) all while trying to keep up with work... Good thing it is SLOW right now...

The pop up still hasn't been picked up due to truck being down, but I can only do it on the weekends as it is about a 4 hour drive from me... so if I can't get the registration done today, then I will not have time before the holiday weekend to go up and get the camper.

The truck DOES have a fiberglass hi top camper shell on it, and I have a bed rig for it, I CAN go camping, I just REALLY wanted the standing height pop top...

Unfortunately with the repeated delays on completing my truck, although I am confident IT will be done before the big weekend, just not in time for me to fetch the camper. So that leaves me with some options I am not a fan of.

#2. Rent an RV, since I was planning on beach camping in an area where 4x4 is a must have, this is kind of a non starter.

I spend a lot of time, effort, and honestly money into getting ready for this weekend only to be thwarted possibly, or rushed like crazy at the very least by these stupid delays.

Maybe I'll just stay home for Thanksgiving, and go to Ren Fest for the weekend and camp there. No 4wd needed, and plenty of Mead available...
Man, ya had to throw Mead in there...so...my mind is made up. I'm going for the mead.
🙃

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
Well? Did you get it? Huh huh huh? :)
The camper itself was a bust it was I'm not gonna say miss represented intentionally but it wasn't as it was supposed to be yet it developed a rather substantial leak in the roof and honestly I only found it because it was raining like crazy the day I inspected it there was at least an 8th of an inch sitting on top of all of the cabinets inside the camper so I heard passed on it. There is a slightly older palomino slide in pot top and I'm gonna look at maybe next weekend.

Last edited:

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
The camper self was a bust it was I'm not gonna say miss represented intentionally but it wasn't as it was supposed to be yet it developed a rather substantial leak in the roof and honestly I only found it because it was raining like crazy the day I inspected it there was at least an 8th of an inch sitting on top of all of the cabinets inside the camper so I heard passed on it. There is a slightly older palomino slide in pot top and I'm gonna look at maybe next weekend.
Sorry to hear it, but best you found it before you owned it!

dbhost

Super Active Member
Sep 19, 2018
League City, Texas USA.
I am openly and actively searching. Until then the hi top fiberglass shell camper is going to have to suffice... I must admit I have a serious itch for a pop up truck camper, just not to spend $25K on one. I am not looking for new, or even pretty, just not a leaker or one with structural damage. The big thing is I can't easily get onto the roof of a camper to perform repairs without causing more damage due to my weight. So that is kind of a non starter for me. Now it it was something I could do with the camper off the truck and the jacks lowered, no problem, but I know for a fact the roof vent was busted up, and the corner seals, it was an aluminum over wood construction roof, the corner seals had dried out and were leaking BAD... I probably could have replaced the vent with a Dometic Roof top 12v AC, sealed the corners good with some fresh butyl tape, and rolled the entire roof with some Henry Tropicool, but the camper needed other repairs and he wanted $4,500.00 for a 93 vintage camper...

I know of a 92 Palomino needing no repair, in the same weight range, but possessing a metric ton of late 80s camper interior ugliness for $2,800.00. AND it has 4 camper jacks instead of only 3... Only issue is, I need a translator to make the deal...