Two renogy 100watt solar panels managed by one controller?

Indiobravo

Feb 5, 2020
Raleigh, NC
i have two renogy 100watt solar panel kits. Each comes with it's own Wanderer Li 30A PWM Charge Controller. My question is, can one of those controllers manage both panels or do i need to get another controller to manage two panels at the same time? (would be a shame to be sitting here with two controllers that i couldn't use if i wanted to use the two panels at the same time)

And if i need a new/special controller to handle both panels, would that controller also be able to handle one panel if my needs changed for a short trip?

OTR1522

Jun 9, 2018
Sounds like you have two solar suitcases that you want to run to 1 controller? No issue - I run 4 100W Renogy Panels to a 100/30 Victron Charge Controller
I would talk with Renogy first as I recall when I wanted to add a second suitcase they said no issue but would void the warranty- the pic below is what the Wanderer can handle- up to 400 watts and like Firehawk said above 6amps per panel so you should be good- Renogy is great to talk to and they might give you some good ideas on how to get the most out of your system

Attachments

• 05A4821B-68A3-43C3-819B-346B743DE9EA.jpeg
    05A4821B-68A3-43C3-819B-346B743DE9EA.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 5

Indiobravo

Feb 5, 2020
Raleigh, NC
i have two renogy 100watt solar panel kits. Each comes with it's own Wanderer Li 30A PWM Charge Controller. My question is, can one of those controllers manage both panels or do i need to get another controller to manage two panels at the same time? (would be a shame to be sitting here with two controllers that i couldn't use if i wanted to use the two panels at the same time)

And if i need a new/special controller to handle both panels, would that controller also be able to handle one panel if my needs changed for a short trip?

Sounds like you have two solar suitcases that you want to run to 1 controller? No issue - I run 4 100W Renogy Panels to a 100/30 Victron Charge Controller
I would talk with Renogy first as I recall when I wanted to add a second suitcase they said no issue but would void the warranty- the pic below is what the Wanderer can handle- up to 400 watts and like Firehawk said above 6amps per panel so you should be good- Renogy is great to talk to and they might give you some good ideas on how to get the most out of your system
i will call renogy to verify. i just see inputs for one panel (2 wires) in the existing controller. i guess i want to know if i just jump the wires from both into that one set of inputs.

OTR1522

Jun 9, 2018
Need these to bring 4 wires to two wires to go to controller

Attachments

• C7CC980E-C4C6-4A77-8052-31A7AD9348CB.jpeg
    C7CC980E-C4C6-4A77-8052-31A7AD9348CB.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 17

ccarley

Sep 23, 2014
I'm using 2 100 watt panels on the same 30amp controller, wired in parallel as has been mentioned. The system works great; I used 10 gauge wire and it's nice to have the ability to add another panel in the future if we wanted to. See this thread for my installation:

I didn't get photos of the controller, but it's mounted in the compartment under one of the seats near where the converter is. 10 gauge wire is used from the controller to the battery directly (fused), and 10 gauge wire is used from the controller to the jack on the side of the trailer, with a 10 gauge "extension" from the panels to the jack limiting the holes in the roof.

Good luck with your installation!
Clay

rmihalcin

Jul 30, 2013
I recommended this device from harbor freight to my son-in-law. Works great. I agree with ccarley with the 10GA cable between the controller and combiner. The voltage loss from the wire can be pretty high at such low voltages.

Sandy Simmons

Oct 14, 2019

Better to call the company that makes them then to get incorrect informtion..
I'm in high end sales. I don't give advise without checking it out with my vendors first.