U channels or safety channels.

97Widerider

Making Memories
Dec 15, 2012
I tried searching this but am unsure to the technical term and didn't fine anything. My 2003 Viking does not have the devices that will prevent the lid from complete failure in case the lift mechanism breaks. Viking did not start supplying them until 2005. Can somebody show me what these are exactly and where they go? Can something else from Home Depot be fabricated to serve the same purpose? Thanks

RockyRoo

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD
Jun 8, 2012
slide them UNDER the bed mattresses, sharp side down. Works perfectly.

RockyRoo

Jun 8, 2012
yep, that's what they look like. I have owned a Coachman and Viking, you wouldn't catch me in it without them.

97Widerider

Making Memories
Dec 15, 2012
Yeah I bit the bullet and bought factory ones for my popup. Small price to pay for the peace of mind with three little ones. And my wife of course.

RockyRoo

Jun 8, 2012
Exactly. Word of warning now, don't forget to take one out when you drop the roof, it does really strange things when you do that. [8D] Oh, and since I don't think anyone said before, they should just snap over your lift arms, on opposing sides. I always put mine on the front curb corner and rear street corner.

BroRobin

Nov 6, 2012
I guess I'm cheap, but I ripped two 1" strips of a 1x4 (the exact length of the raised upright lifts) and I then place them next to the upright lifts diagonally across (by the rear curb side and front street side lifts) from each other before I wrap the exterior covers around the lifts. The top CANNOT fall if these two boards are in place. Probably over kill on curbside because the DOOR will prevent the top from free falling on that side as well. Just my [2C]

maromeo

Jan 6, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
Just an FYI. Our 2002 Viking came with the U channels or safety channels. We would put them on diagonal corners. That way there is no chance of the roof coming down. Our unit had storage bin on the rear bumper. Some people made their own storage bins with large PVC pipe attached to the rear bumper with one end capped.

Enjoy the new PUP.

Mary Anne

97Widerider

Making Memories
Dec 15, 2012
RockyRoo said:
Exactly. Word of warning now, don't forget to take one out when you drop the roof, it does really strange things when you do that. [8D] Oh, and since I don't think anyone said before, they should just snap over your lift arms, on opposing sides. I always put mine on the front curb corner and rear street corner.

I have made an index card with a checklist of things to do when I put it up and when packing it away. I can see a step being missed somewhere down the line causing some problem if I don't.

maromeo

Jan 6, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
We did the same thing. We also a 2 checklists for bringing items. We had one for dry camping or boondocking and one for if we had hookups. They came in handy several times.

Enjoy your PUP.