Upcomming Meal Plans? All ideas welcome

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
Trying to figure out some meal plans for the upcoming adventures.

I eat almost anything, so its really about the kiddies- and they seem to not want to eat sometimes, which can get rather.. annoying in the morning. If only they would eat cold cereal and milk!!

DW doesn't want them eating hot dogs every day... so I have to try and feed them something else... any ideas?

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Do you have ellectric or not? Frozen waffles, or pankakes. Sausage, bacon, eggs. Get the kind of mix that you just need water. Luch, mac and cheese. , burgers, dogs. Always bring a liaf of bread and peanut butter. And you didnt say if you had a gill, griddle, etc. Or are you just doing cooking over the fire? A pie iron and some bread can make grilled cheese, like a french toast, or anything else you can imagine. Pizza is always good also.

Wingo

Jul 9, 2013
We like to make walking tacos, basic taco fillings but buy little bags of Doritos or whatever chips and just put stuff in there and eat out of the bag. Super easy and quick clean up.
We also use pie irons, they're kind of fun and can cook them over a fire.
For breakfasts we usually have cold cereal, eggs/toast, omelets, pancakes, etc. Whatever we feel like making.
Sandwiches for quick lunches. Nothing fancy, meat and cheese, maybe mayo if wanted.
Usually have hot dog night over the fire too with s'mores.
For snacks I like to buy those jiffy pop stove popcorn poppers. Kids think theyre neat, guess I did too when I was small.
We try to keep things super simple and easy, I don't like spending a ton of time cooking or cleaning up.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
What kind of facilities for cooking do you have?

If no hookups, get a Coleman foldable oven or an Omnioven or an Israeli-style wonderpot and make cinnamon rolls from the tubes (Pilsbury or Trader Joe's). Actually, hotdogs are probably healthier. :) But you can do biscuits and other baked things with an oven.

Instant oatmeal packets? It took about 12 years before I could get both kids eating cold cereal but I'm not packing milk for that. See if you can get them to eat yogurt with granola mixed in. (Mine won't.) Quesadillas?

Peanut butter.

Spaghetti is good for us. Meat must be self-contained like sausage in casings or meatballs because one kid won't eat it if there are bits of meat floating about. [::)] She isn't even vegetarian! You can do the one-pot thing where you cook the pasta in the sauce (add extra water...proportions should be online somewhere if you need it).

I have picky eaters. And they are picky in different ways. It's awesome. Not.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
We like to make walking tacos, basic taco fillings but buy little bags of Doritos or whatever chips and just put stuff in there and eat out of the bag. Super easy and quick clean up.
We also use pie irons, they're kind of fun and can cook them over a fire.
For breakfasts we usually have cold cereal, eggs/toast, omelets, pancakes, etc. Whatever we feel like making.
Sandwiches for quick lunches. Nothing fancy, meat and cheese, maybe mayo if wanted.
Usually have hot dog night over the fire too with s'mores.
For snacks I like to buy those jiffy pop stove popcorn poppers. Kids think theyre neat, guess I did too when I was small.
We try to keep things super simple and easy, I don't like spending a ton of time cooking or cleaning up.
We have a metal corn popper. Was fun when we had the pup. But now, the kid is older and wiser. I say lets get the corn poper out, response is but dad , by the time you find it and get outside my microwave popcorn will be done. So, shes got me in intelligence at 10, but i still lile the corn popper even if its a bit of a time waster. At least when the apocalypse hits, I will still be able to make popcorn.....

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Fajitas, spaghetti (if you make your sauce in advance or just use the jar stuff), tomato soup and grilled cheese, spam stir fry, pocket meals also known as hobo meals. For my longer trips I bring my dutch oven and make personal pan pizzas, lasagna, enchiladas, cinnamon rolls, biscuits and a huge hit in the morning mountain man breakfast. My meal plan though really revolves around what I have planned and how long I'm staying. The Dutch oven has increased my meal ideas by a lot but it does have a huge learning curve and can take time to cook so most of my short trips I stick with simple one pan meals.

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
Camp cooking used to be an event for me. Now, not so much. I carry frozen burgers, chicken, or barbecue sandwiches, and sausage biscuits. I toss one in the microwave as needed. Often times my freezer will have pizza rolls, chicken nuggets, corndogs, or a pizza...Yeah, I eat like a kid...lol

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
Most recent trip my daughter brought her air fryer. (Wood fires not allowed at Lion County Safari because it creeps the animals out).
She made s’mores with these crazy marshmallows that had fillings inside. Various flavors.
I think I will add an air fryer to my equipment…save on propane!
Also have an instant pot in the pantry that never gets used at home. I think that’s going in the camper as well. Some broth, veggies, cheap meat, put in on low and just let it go all afternoon without having to tend to it.
Easy one pot and easy clean up.

Wingo

Jul 9, 2013
Is it like a Whirleypop? My kids refuse microwave popcorn if there's a chance of fresh stuff with real butter...gotta remember to bring the Whirleypop camping.
Not really, it's basically microwave popcorn you make on the stove. Comes with its own disposable tin pan and handle, and when it pops it expands the tin foil on top to where it looks like a balloon. I still think it's neat, they usually have them in touristy gas stations and camp stores. I buy them at Walmart.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
No no...the one SJM was talking about. Now, I DO know Jiffypop. We used to burn those on camping trips when I was a kid. Much fun, even though they always burned...

Get the kids involved in the meal planning. Do it on paper, map out all the meals, and have them help you fill in what they would like to eat, working through ways to prepare that at camp. And if someone puts hotdogs down for one meal, fine, leave it, but then next time somebody says hotdogs, say, let's think of something else, we already have hotdogs here on the schedule.

And then make it everybody's task to follow through and help make these meals actually happen.

I ended up with two really good home cooks and one terrific professional chef out of my lot of littles. 😀

Apr 4, 2017
Mini bagels with cream cheese and hard salami or american cheese and ham, corned beef hash (out of a can), you can do eggs by the dozen in a muffin tin - put butter in the bottom, break eggs into each cup and salt and pepper - can do over a fire or on a grill. Link sausage and scrambled eggs. Lunch is often sandwiches, mac and cheese, hot dogs or pre-made soups or stews. Chicken nuggets fried in a little bit of oil and fries (cooked the same way) are always a hit. Grilled cheese too, with or without bacon or ham. Pie iron pizzas are good too, or I have done a make your own pizza with the Boboli crusts and an assortment of toppings-I did discover that you need to use two or three layers of foil under them to keep the crusts from burning while they heat through and the cheese melts. Someone else mentioned walking tacos (doritos in a small bag, crunch the chips, add taco toppings per choice, ie, diced tomatoes, refried beans, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream, salso or pico de gallo, diced onions, etc. Dinners are usually a little more elaborate, steaks, chicken foil packs, hobo dinners, fried pork chops and potatoes, whatever sides you like.