Upsizing tires Coleman Cheyenne

rc231

Jun 27, 2022
We just bought a very good condition Coleman Cheyenne pup that the previous owner didn't tow much so the tires are super old. It currently has 175/80/D13 and I was wondering if there is any downside to going to a 185/80 R13 to slightly lower the rotational speed. Looking at Carlisle Radial Trail HDs load range D from discount tire and want to get this ordered soon so we can use it safely.

Logisitally am I better off pulling the wheels myself and just dropping those at discount for the swap or can they handle the whole trailer?

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
You're looking at mostly a clearance issue, IMO. You're going from 24" tall to 24.7" tall on the tire height. I can't imagine you don't have enough room in the wheel well for an extra .35" height. You're also going from a tire width of 6.9" to 7.3". The additional width will push outward as the axle doesn't shrink so it just adds depth that can only go outward. Does your trim have enough space to not rub against a slightly taller and now .4" wider tire? My guess would be you're fine but you would want to measure and give allowance for tire travel due to bumps in the road.

My guess would be is that you're fine.

As for taking just the tires, or the whole trailer, do whatever you feel is easiest. They will be fine pulling the tires off the trailer themselves. I took a tandem axle trailer to my local tire shop and said "all 5 new tires please" including the spare and parked in a lot next to them. They did it all onsite with their mobile tire repair truck at no additional cost. Another time, I pulled into Discount Tire running on a spare because of a blow out on the highway and said "all three tires please" and they did it while sitting outside their bay and I sat in the waiting room.

rc231

Jun 27, 2022
the wider tires have an extra 200lbs of load rating so I am going to see if I have clearance. seems like a good idea to have some extra margin on that.