Used 2006 Viking Epic 2308 ST

fern5840

Jun 12, 2016
If anyone can help me out with a question about a camper I am thinking of buying....It is in absolutely pristine condition, mattresses, curtains, inside canvas, cushions, EVERYTHING is perfect. Except a small portion of the interior roof where I noticed some waviness and also some of what looks like blistering in at least one spot about the size of a quarter. The man selling it has obviously taken excellent care of it, and says he called Viking, who apparently told him that it was due to humidity or something like that. What I'm trying to figure out is if that is an actual reason that waviness and blistering can occur or do these conditions mean that there has certainly been leaking in the roof? I'm going back to see it brought down where I can look at the roof for signs of leaks, and I've read here or somewhere else that there may be tiny cracks? Do I need to bring a magnifying glass when I go back? Here is the link to the Craig's list ad....https://worcester.craigslist.org/rvs/5611273719.html
As I said, this camper is perfect in every other way I can discern, so I don't want to rule it out if there is nothing wrong with it...but I've also already bought a pop up in the past that had roof damage and turned out to be a disaster so I don't want to repeat that problem! Thank you, thank you, thank you for any help on this!!!

97Widerider

Making Memories
Dec 15, 2012
Find out which lift system the Viking has. Viking switched from Goshen Lift System in 2004 or 2005 (I believe) and went to a system that had some problems and whose company is now defunct with no parts support from Viking. That system is the IDT lift system. Viking abandoned the IDT system and switched back ito the Goshen in either 06 or 07. Just make sure it doesn't have that bad IDT lift system. I may be off on my dates, but I know I am close, close enough it warrants inquiry to which you have.

Dubbya

Wherever you go, there you are...
Aug 2, 2011
Steinbach, MB
Viking/Coachmen installed the IDT lift system from November 1, 2003 (2004 model year) to August 15, 2005 (2006 model year). Anything built before or after those dates should have Goshen lifts and be worth buying at a reasonable price. Make sure you check the date of manufacture on the VIN tag!

Again, this issue is dependent on the date of manufacture, so there may be nothing to worry about. Be sure to ask the seller if they're aware of the recall on the lift system. If the seller isn't aware of the problem, you can search "IDT Lift System Recall" on Google and show them that IDT, the company that manufactured the lift system went bankrupt and also that repair parts are not available.

Goshen Stamping is well versed in upgrading the system, so contacting them would get you the parts and instruction required to do the job. You'd have to ask them for a price though. If the camper does have the IDT lift system and they simply won't drop their price by at least the cost to upgrade to a Goshen lift, just walk away.

Happy hunting!

maromeo

Jan 6, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
There should be a sticker near the crank access if the recall lift system has been fixed if it has the IDT system.

One thing I noticed from Craigslist pictures there are no batteries or propane tanks. You should ask about them also.

fern5840

Jun 12, 2016
Thanks everyone!!!

What about the waviness and blistering on the interior ceiling? I'm thinking of emailing the owner and asking him to send Viking pictures of it and get an email response from them that it is as harmless as they have told him. Just for some reassurance.

Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
Steinbach, MB
fern5840 said:
What about the waviness and blistering on the interior ceiling?

Sorry, just noticed that! While not uncommon, and while it's certainly possible to see the vinyl blister somewhat purely due to heat from solar radiation, that looks a little more serious and quite possibly due to water damage.

I'd say push the bunks in and lower the roof to where you can stand outside push in the tenting and look up at the backsides of the side boards and ends of the roof. Look for musty, moldy blackened wood. Be meticulous in your inspection.

edh

Super Active Member
Jun 2, 2008
Like Dubbya said. Check the corners of the box and floor also, disoloring and soft spots. Sometimes I camper would look good cosmetically but have significant hidden damage to the structure, so you have to inspect meticulously and thoroughly. There may be damage that the owner is unaware of, as it can occur while it is closed since the last time it was used. If it was always garaged and well-maintained (eg recaulked regularly) then rot should be unlikely.

fern5840

Jun 12, 2016
The gentleman called Viking again, spoke to a sales representative and they confirmed what he was told before, that it was because of how he stored it, the length of time he stored it, and possibly how he covered it, with a tarp and then a camper cover on top of that for the past couple years, because he's locking it down for so long and so tight.....humidity and condensation getting trapped inside and pulling the ceiling away. I'm going back to see it on Thursday and he is going to bring it down so I'll be able to see the roof, the edges, press all over the ceiling, etc.

So, this sounds plausible, then?

I'd hate to rule this camper out if this is a possibility because EVERYTHING else is pristine.

Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
Steinbach, MB
Sounds pretty legit to me...

Here's the thing; You take a chance and roll the dice with anything you buy used. It's reasonable to expect some minor imperfections, so if everything else checks out and the only issue is delaminating vinyl on the ceiling, I could live with it.

You might even be able to use a clothes iron over a moist towel to press it back up and get it to stick or even peel it all off and just paint the whole ceiling.

fern5840

Jun 12, 2016
Well, I decided not to go for it. There was some bowing in that spot in the roof....so clearly the moisture damage not only affected the innermost layer but the layer closest to the outer skin as well. :-( Search continues. Thanks all for your input!