Waited a long time for this!

wildep

Mar 25, 2022
Mid-Michigan
I'm finally in a position to start working on my grandparents' 1968 Wheel Camper Ranch Wagon. They bought it living in Michigan when my dad and his brother and sister were little, and it followed them to Wisconsin and through many family trips. My uncle inherited it from them and took it to Montana with his family. When they stopped using it, my dad got it. I remember one awesome road trip from our home in Wisconsin through many states out west and back when I was in middle school (including 2 flat tires!), as well as many nights camping in it in the backyard. It's sat around in garages and yards for the last 15 or so years, and will take some work to get back to it's former glory, but I finally have space, time, and money to start working on it. The goal: livable by labor day! IMG_8692.jpeg IMG_5281.jpeg IMG010.JPG IMG003.JPG

Larry Riker

Jun 10, 2022
I'm finally in a position to start working on my grandparents' 1968 Wheel Camper Ranch Wagon. They bought it living in Michigan when my dad and his brother and sister were little, and it followed them to Wisconsin and through many family trips. My uncle inherited it from them and took it to Montana with his family. When they stopped using it, my dad got it. I remember one awesome road trip from our home in Wisconsin through many states out west and back when I was in middle school (including 2 flat tires!), as well as many nights camping in it in the backyard. It's sat around in garages and yards for the last 15 or so years, and will take some work to get back to it's former glory, but I finally have space, time, and money to start working on it. The goal: livable by labor day! View attachment 81841 View attachment 81842 View attachment 81843 View attachment 81844
When i first got our Wheel Camper the roof was sagging so it collected water when it rained. I went to a very poor lumber yard and bought (3) very bent (not twisted) 2 by 4's. After removing the head liner inside, under the roof, we pushed the roof up and replaced (3) of the old sagging 1 by 2's that were the roof structure. This now pushed the roof up so it no longer collects water.
Years later we found some roof leaking and some resulting dry rot in the outer frame of the roof. We detached and flipped the entire roof, removed the bad edge frame pieces and replaced them with CEDAR boards which are lighter an will not rot.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I'm finally in a position to start working on my grandparents' 1968 Wheel Camper Ranch Wagon. They bought it living in Michigan when my dad and his brother and sister were little, and it followed them to Wisconsin and through many family trips. My uncle inherited it from them and took it to Montana with his family. When they stopped using it, my dad got it. I remember one awesome road trip from our home in Wisconsin through many states out west and back when I was in middle school (including 2 flat tires!), as well as many nights camping in it in the backyard. It's sat around in garages and yards for the last 15 or so years, and will take some work to get back to it's former glory, but I finally have space, time, and money to start working on it. The goal: livable by labor day! View attachment 81841 View attachment 81842 View attachment 81843 View attachment 81844
Funny picture! It looks like you are shoving that jack handle down the dog's throat. LOL

BelchFire

I speak fluent vise-grip
Mar 29, 2012
SE Georgia
Hey man, that's a cool looking camper! I especially love it when someone restores one that carries memories. Truth be told, I have the skill, but not the motivation to restore one, so it would take memories to make me want to do it anyway. I'm looking forward to following your progress! (pssssst; what's up with the overhead gantry on the rear of the boat?)

wildep

Mar 25, 2022
Mid-Michigan
(pssssst; what's up with the overhead gantry on the rear of the boat?)
Thanks! I’m having fun so far!

I built that crane when I was rebuilding the boat trailer and I was too proud to ask a couple friends to come over to lift the boat off the trailer. (Also, it was the last time lumber was reasonably priced. I think it was $40ish for all the lumber together. if only I would’ve known to stock up even more back then!)

Last edited: