Want Laminate flooring for popup...any suggestions?

97Widerider

Making Memories
Dec 15, 2012
I am sure this can be done and has been done. I plan on purchasing some 7mm thick laminate flooring for my Viking 1906 Epic. I think a nice dark floor will enhance the "warmth" of the popup at a minimal cost (around $30.00 for 25 sq ft.).

From what I have read, I just need to leave some expansion room where the ends butt up to the cabinetry, walls, etc and then add a quarter round to hide the gap. I plan on making this a floating floor.

Can somebody chime in with some tips, advice, and especially PHOTOS if you will. Thanks

Halford

Super Active Member
Sep 28, 2011
Santa Clarita, California
For easier set up, buy a couple boxes of 12"x12" laminated wood vinyl. Peel off the paper and put it on the floor. Just make sure that the floor is clean and dustfree for the adhesive to stick on the floor. [PU] [TV]

Maggiemoo

Jul 16, 2014
I used vinyl plank from Home Depot. It sticks together but floats on the floor. Very easy to install and looks great. The brand is Allure.

92b74982421e2aeec4a4b6c26ad5bb0f_zpsxzyrluba.jpg

23ca5402402f79baed5c4e03478ebd8c_zps99b0a2a5.jpg

ricko

Apr 6, 2009
Nashville, TN
+1 on the vinyl plank. We have a lot of laminate in our house and it is not always friendly if moisture sets in underneath it or in the seams. The vinyl should provide a very nice look and be much more moisture resistant.

Good luck

Ricko

elkmontb10

Oct 31, 2013
Check out the vinyl planks by Shaw at Lowes. There is even a thinner version, can't think of the brand. It's a snap together just like laminate. It's cheaper, water resistant and a good vapor barrier. I has the looks and feel of laminate flooring.

West Coast Canuck

Jumped to the dark side ......
Mar 3, 2005
Vinyl plank is the way to go, Water resistant and easy to install, still get the appearance of laminate.

LadyWolf

Jul 4, 2014
Maggiemoo said:
I used vinyl plank from Home Depot. It sticks together but floats on the floor. Very easy to install and looks great. The brand is Allure.

92b74982421e2aeec4a4b6c26ad5bb0f_zpsxzyrluba.jpg

23ca5402402f79baed5c4e03478ebd8c_zps99b0a2a5.jpg

Very nice!! Did you have to remove your cabinets when you put the floor in?

Maggiemoo

Jul 16, 2014
No, I didn't remove the cabinets. I just used the moulding to cover any gaps. It was quick and easy.

oldstick

Dec 1, 2014
Wood laminate will add more extra weight too. Not a ton of weight but extra pounds all add up quick. You can judge for youself when you feel what a single box of the laminate weighs. It would look really classy but just for a pop-up camper I would stick with some type of vinyl flooring due to lighter weight and pretty much permanent durability to moisture.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I had left over laminate flooring after working on my house and thought it would work in the popup. So i took one plank and layed it out just to see. Well my old trailer's cabinet doors are so low to the floor I couldn't open the cabinets with the floor in place. Well it turns out I'm glad it didn't work out. I'm having a lot of issues with my floor in my kitchen and entry area in my house as all the moisture and water has caused the laminate to "bubble" up. Moisture got between the planks and its been a fight. Even worse where I caught my puppy had peed. My next popup I will go with the plank vinyl. My friend who used it in her bathroom has had no problems with it.

Greywuff

Oct 2, 2008
Virginia
[quotIt looks like you didn't leave any gap at the ends. The stuff expands and contracts quite a bit with temperature and humidity.e][/quote]
I didnt leave a very big gap, but there is space around the planks. Didnt wanna have to bother with molding, as I have it for sale. Replacing it with a hybrid.

cuisinartoh

Jul 3, 2015
This winter I'll be putting down some vinyl plank flooring. I've read many times on this board about putting quarter-round around the perimeter. How do you attach it? I'm nervous about using my finishing nailer to do it, which is what I'd use in my house. Do you glue it to the wall/cabinet?

Thanks!

Dubbya

Wherever you go, there you are...
Aug 2, 2011
Steinbach, MB
cuisinartoh said:
This winter I'll be putting down some vinyl plank flooring. I've read many times on this board about putting quarter-round around the perimeter. How do you attach it? I'm nervous about using my finishing nailer to do it, which is what I'd use in my house. Do you glue it to the wall/cabinet?

Thanks!
Typically, the subfloor will be OSB anyway, so I'd just use brad nails and tack the 1/4 round in place to hide the cracks. Should hold up just fine under normal conditions. [2C]

mwitty111

Oct 13, 2015
I'm curious how y'all are finishing the edge of the floating vinyl plank floor where it meets the threshold of the camper's door.

highcottonyankee

I'd Rather Be Camping
Aug 18, 2015
Hi! I am planning to renovate my floor in my pop-up & was wondering what the pros & cons are for self-stick vinyl plank flooring (Lowe's) vs. a floating vinyl plank flooring (Allure from Home Depot)? I realize the floating floor would need a gap around the perimeter for expansion. Just wondering which product would do better with cold temps & humidity, etc. Thanks in advance.

Latest posts