Watch yer back

gladecreekwy

Super Active Member
Sep 25, 2016
Jackson Wyoming
Large group with bear spray and firearms. Just goes to show you need to be alert at all times in bear country

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
Large group with bear spray and firearms. Just goes to show you need to be alert at all times in bear country

Lotta people here don't give bears the respect they should; black bears are responsible for more attacks, but w/ much less damage than a brown bear, more of 'em I guess. I carry a Winchester Defender if I'm way out, bear pellet buckshot followed by slugs, dang glad I've never had to use it...

gladecreekwy

Super Active Member
Sep 25, 2016
Jackson Wyoming
Lotta people here don't give bears the respect they should; black bears are responsible for more attacks, but w/ much less damage than a brown bear, more of 'em I guess. I carry a Winchester Defender if I'm way out, bear pellet buckshot followed by slugs, dang glad I've never had to use it...
Black bears kill more people in North America than grizzlies

kudzu

Gold Supporting Member
Oct 20, 2014
Knee deep in kudzu
Hmmm… perhaps my horse visited. As a yearling he ripped some trim & an antenna off someone’s car just because. Learned not to park my truck near the fence line after I ended up with horse toothmarks in the fender, trying to get the feed in the bed. He’d happily force a window down to get to the feed inside. And likely rip a mirror off in frustration if he couldn’t get to it. He won’t eat you, but he certainly tried to taste a few folks in the early years.

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
New York State, Erie County
DW and I just watched "Backcountry" last night

The movie says "based on a true story"....year's ago, I read about an incident that happened in Canada's "Algonquin" Park but in that one BOTH were eaten

I've had too many "encounters" with black bears in NYs ADKs to always "watch my back"

Happy Trails!

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021
2022 seemed to be a banner year for bear sightings here in Alberta. I have camped in bear country all my life, grizzly and black bear, and until this year had never seen a grizzly at all and had seen black bears maybe 10 times (I am 58) including as a kid camping where there were no people. This year we saw a mama grizzly and 2 cubs near Radium BC right along the highway, and in Jasper there was a big ole male grizzly who actually came wandering right up a crowded hiking path (Maligne Canyon) amidst all the people when we were there in June. Plus 6 black bear sightings just along paved roads. We don't do any back country camping or hiking and it's literally been years since we saw any kind of bear.

Canoe2fish

Apr 14, 2014
Ontario, Canada
In Alaska, guys carry large cal handguns in chest holsters. Though I’d use bear spray first as it easier to hit the mark and usually enough for it to run off.

Canoe2fish

Apr 14, 2014
Ontario, Canada
DW and I just watched "Backcountry" last night

The movie says "based on a true story"....year's ago, I read about an incident that happened in Canada's "Algonquin" Park but in that one BOTH were eaten

I've had too many "encounters" with black bears in NYs ADKs to always "watch my back"

Happy Trails!
It’s the male bears that have learned the taste of a kill. If it’s the couple from Cambridge Ontario, I believe it only killed the wife. He tried in vain to save her but it was only interested in blood. Very sad story.
I don’t know if they had bear spray. Guns aren’t allowed in that park AFAIK

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
The good thing at least for me, about being in TX, is there are no bears to worry about... Gators on the other hand is a totally different story.
None to worry about but we have them. I spotted one in BBNP a few years back while hiking the Pinnacles Trail.