water pump location (high vs low)?

Indiobravo

Feb 5, 2020
Raleigh, NC
Hey guys, i am about to install a water pump on my 1998 Viking. I've replaced all the hoses and faucet and very happy with the city water side of things. I am about to install the water pump for my water tank for when i'm off grid. My question is, is it ok to install it anywhere between the tank and the faucet? Will it struggle if it's close to the faucet and higher up? Does the hose have to be primed (full of water) for the pump to work well?
(it would be so much easier for me to install if i could put it close to the sink)
I can and will install it closer to the tank and at level with it if it's a big deal, but i really rather not.

Arruba

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 28, 2014
Central Oregon
If you already have the pump what do the directions say? Most RV type pumps I’m familiar with will self prime, but it pays to double check.

Lug_Nut

May 29, 2016
Mt. Wachusett area, MA
Lower is better. It makes the inlet to the pump self-filling. Pump are great for pressurizing, not so good for sucking. Dry running a pump is the worst thing to do.
That said, I don't always follow my own advice. I installed an electric pump in a Jayco that had a manual hand pump. It was simplest and easiest to mount the pump up at the sink, well above the holding tank level. I had no problems.
It pulled a prime just fine, BUT... It did run longer without cooling / lubricating of water than it would have were I to have located it nearer the water tank. It held prime through the camping season, but I doubted my decision every spring when I de-winterized.

Indiobravo

Feb 5, 2020
Raleigh, NC
@Arruba - the pump did not come with directions :-/
@Lug_Nut - i did what you suggested. it took a little bit longer, but it was definitely the right thing to do and it friggin kicks butt!!! Don't you just love it when 1000 hours of youtube, a good plan, the right tools and parts, and a good clear day all come together? and i was worried about it being too small - it's a 1.2 GPM 35 PSI little thing. turns out it is the *perfect* size for my singular use of a sink. got a switch on it to turn it off and on, and it works as advertised - stops automagically when you close the faucet :)

i'm tickled pink.

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
Just my 2 cents ......... but I like a quiet pump. I have found mounting the pump on carpet or a mouse pad, using soft hoses and firemen's loops. and mounting it so it is hanging makes for the quietest pump operation.
You want the hoses and pump not to vibrate against anything solid.