We Bought a New To Us Pup!

JeeperTim

Jan 2, 2016
Sebewaing MI
20180828_142315.jpg
We Bought a new pop up! Well it's an 89 Skamper 210X. It's a 10 foot box, 20 foot fully extended. I've had to do some small repairs so far and am going to slowly bring her into the modern age. I had bought a Windsor a few years ago cheaply on impulse with plans to completely restore it but I bought it in the dead of winter. When it's that cold the water that you would normally see seeping through as water damage just helps make the dry rotted walls stronger. Long story short I never got time to work on it before we bought our new house. So I pull it to the new house 24 miles away. We get to the first big turn and the entirety of the pup slides off the floor/trailer, a cross M-24, and into the ditch. My old Windsor is now a nice utility trailer.
Back to the Skamper, now that I know a thing or 2 about what not to buy, and I've read up on what to look out for, we find a nice 1 family Skamper for $1000, we go look it over and everything except the canvas is in decent shape, so, we know the replacement canvas is about $1000 itself we lowball and offer $500 hoping he will counter back around $700 but he accepted at $500 after seeing the canvas from sitting in the garage the past few years.
Fast forward to now, I've sealed all the seams in the current canvas until we can afford to get it replaced. No leaks, with a lot of cleaning we went out on two camping trips so far to get used to her and are taking her out on the last one of the year before sealing her up for the winter. I will post all the pictures I have and will keep updating as we progress!

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
The tenting dosent look that bad? Is it thin? Maybe you could re seal it to get a few more years out of it?

JeeperTim

Jan 2, 2016
Sebewaing MI
The tenting dosent look that bad? Is it thin? Maybe you could re seal it to get a few more years out of it?
The seams I'm going to seal because I'm not sure how long it's going to take to get the new one made but it's the screens that are the biggest problem, they are so deteriorated that if you try to touch them they fall apart, I was going to get new screen material and epoxy it in, but I'm not sure how good that will work or how good it will look.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Search the sight, someone recently replaced theres. Looks like the weather is changing buy the pook of the leaves, so maybe replece the sides and leave the beds for now?