We went to the Dark Side, but back into the light. Sort of...

Sep 2, 2013
So as much as I loved my self-restored (partially) 1973 Starcraft StartFlite 6, we chose to sell her on to achieve some hard sides and a better sound barrier for our anxious pup (the furry kind). We transferred Effie to a nice couple who planned on using it immediately and much more than we could, so I was happy about that -- there's nothing worse than an unused, vintage, Brady Bunch pop-up. I told them all about this place, so hopefully they surface and join the club!

In the valley of sadness after the sale, we started looking at small hard-siders that would be an easy tow with my aging Xterra. Turns out, campers, it seems, became the unobtainium that kayaks were the year before in this COVID nightmare. Out-priced at all turns, we started looking into school buses to build as an alternative. We looked at the long ones, but realized they would be too expensive to maintain (and build), so we decided on a mini-skoolie, which were quickly becoming as rare as affordable hard-siders, and long school buses, which, ironically, are much cheaper than the minis.

Regardless, we managed to pick up a former prep school bus on the super cheap due to the previous owner just listing it as a 'van' and the fact that one of the brakes seized on the test drive!

Long story longer, we picked up a 2005 GMC Savana 3500 Dually with a Corbeil (now defunct) coach body. Sunny came with all her seats removed already, so that saved us a bunch of time in prepping for the new build. It's also going to be a hybrid PUP of sorts, as we also were gifted a tree-damaged hybrid popup, in the form of a Palomino Stampede, which has two pop-out, pop-up style beds at each end. We're going to be harvesting parts from that and putting it into the bus, nam the electric gubbins, lights, tanks, and a few other bits. So it's really a hybrid-hybrid and technically, maybe, still in the family.

Anywho, if you're stuck in your pup on a rainy night and want to follow along this wacky path, we're keeping track of the build here: SunnyTheBus.com. We've had her for just about a year and other than a 3-month break to fix my aforementioned again Xterra, we've been working on her constantly. We are a lot further along now than the blog indicates, but I should be catching up now that the build daylight is a getting a little dimmer. I hope to be done-done by the spring so we can hit the road!

Cheers!

RCmom

Jun 19, 2021
New Jersey
I was looking at your website and wanted to give a shout out to Barky McBarkface from Barky McGrowlerson (my 20 lb fuzz baby who escapes when camping just to make noise!)

Lug_Nut

May 29, 2016
Mt. Wachusett area, MA
from the blog: "I got into cars because apparently I hate money and don’t like free time."
Ouch! What is it that makes us otherwise frugal swamp yankees succumb to these WOMBATs*?

* Waste Of Money, Brains, And Time

Sep 2, 2013
Haha, sorry, just saw this now. Must be something in the air. Too much saltwater in my veins affecting my decision-making process maybe?!?
from the blog: "I got into cars because apparently I hate money and don’t like free time."
Ouch! What is it that makes us otherwise frugal swamp yankees succumb to these WOMBATs*?

* Waste Of Money, Brains, And Time