Weak Blower on Battery

verskate

Oct 24, 2021
I have a 1984 Coleman Williamsburg pop-up with a Hydroflame 16000 BTU furnance. While on Shore Power (plugged into a campsite 110V outlet) the furnace kicks on and blows nice dry hot air like it should. However switching to battery, I'm using a new Deep Cell Marine Battery, the thermostat (which is new), kicks the furnace on, but the blower won't start. Not sure what the issue is. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

1984 Coleman Williamsbug Pop-up
Hydroflame 16000 BTU furnance
New Thermostat

Chris

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
It sounds like you have some corrosion in the 12 volt power line somewhere. I'd first check and clean the terminals and inline fuses on the battery and then make sure you have a good ground to the frame from the battery.

Are all of the other 12 volt accessories working properly?

verskate

Oct 24, 2021
It sounds like you have some corrosion in the 12 volt power line somewhere. I'd first check and clean the terminals and inline fuses on the battery and then make sure you have a good ground to the frame from the battery.

Are all of the other 12 volt accessories working properly?

Yes, and thank you so much for the help!

verskate

Oct 24, 2021
I have a 1984 Coleman Williamsburg pop-up with a Hydroflame 16000 BTU furnance. While on Shore Power (plugged into a campsite 110V outlet) the furnace kicks on and blows nice dry hot air like it should. However switching to battery, I'm using a new Deep Cell Marine Battery, the thermostat (which is new), kicks the furnace on, but the blower won't start. Not sure what the issue is. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

1984 Coleman Williamsbug Pop-up
Hydroflame 16000 BTU furnance
New Thermostat

Chris

I'm thinking it's the battery I have been using. I don't think it's powerful enough to kick on the blower. I got a new Marine battery and will try it with that. I didn't notice, but it looks like there were 2 lawn mower batteries hooked up on the A frame. I don't think those are going to do the trick!

verskate

Oct 24, 2021
It's been a while since I've posted anything about this, but I'm still trying to figure this out. Last winter I just ended up running my generator and plugging the camper into it, but I'd like to sort out the issue.

To recap the issue, when on battery, the fan speed is very low, almost idle. When on Shore Power, no problems.

Steps I've taken. I've swapped out the battery with a new deep cycle battery fully charged. I've cleaned all the leads and checked the connections. I've also checked the ground. I don't understand why the fan won't kick on full when running from a battery. I also changed the thermostat.

Any other ideas anyone may have are very welcome.

KeizerTrailer

Aug 31, 2020
Keizer, OR
Have you checked the resistance of the line running to the battery from the converter? High resistance could definitely cause a problem like this. How about with a different furnace thermostat?