Weather Station for a PUP?

ADK_ Adventures

Apr 17, 2021
Hello! We have a 2001 Starcraft PUP, and I am looking for some kind of weather station I can install on it. I'm not a huge weather buff, but thought it might be fun to be able to monitor some basic weather info. Our favorite campground sometimes sees seemingly crazy high winds (like, our campfire goes SIDEWAYS lol!), and I thought it might be fun to get some realistic numbers on what we are experiencing. So I'd like a station that included a wind meter or anemometer. Also, our favorite site does not have 120v hookup, so I'm looking for something that can run on 12 volts or by alkaline battery power, and that's what I'm having trouble finding.

Has anyone installed a weather station on their PUP? If so, what did you select, and how did you install it on your camper?

I do see that many available weather stations run off a AC adapter that pushes 5 volts. I found a 12v to 5v converter on Amazon rated for 3 amps. I don't know the amp draw of some of these weather stations, but I'm guessing it's less than 3A. I'm thinking I can use this adapter to power a weather station from my 12v battery. Any thoughts or ideas?

Adapter:

And here's a weather station I am interested in as an example:

I'd appreciate any advice; thank you in advance!

-Amos

rsdata

Oct 3, 2011
N. KY
one way to gauge the actual power consumption is to see if the station is rated in watts... where amps times volts equals watts... 15 w = 5 volts X 3 amps

Taxus812

Jun 1, 2010
Just did same. I used pvc pipe for a pole (sections so i can break it down)
Its all battery operated so no power needed. However it does have a 6v plug if you want the display constantly lit.

I added a hitch to my bumper and put it vertical so i could put pole in it.

The top has 1” pvc that slides into the 1-1/4 making a telescoping pole. I cut slits in the 1-1/4 and use hose clamps to secure it. Still have to finish it but i have been testing the station all week.

Alternatively i can stick the pole in the ground at a lower height.

Raddy L7 LoRa Weather Station 1.9...

TOPTOW 63800 RV Bumper Hitch...

POWERTEC 70247 1-1/2 Inch Key...

Attachments

• 2E297897-5749-424E-A303-E082B2EE3D1A.jpeg
    2E297897-5749-424E-A303-E082B2EE3D1A.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 83D7E9CF-D2E6-4A3C-B5AF-C9DEC923198F.jpeg
    83D7E9CF-D2E6-4A3C-B5AF-C9DEC923198F.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 536B5CB5-78F1-4144-A6C8-E581B313E556.jpeg
    536B5CB5-78F1-4144-A6C8-E581B313E556.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 4BDF797E-BE3F-4255-A879-3B021A0E03C1.jpeg
    4BDF797E-BE3F-4255-A879-3B021A0E03C1.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 31
  • BB031970-AAFC-43FC-B4E1-F36E73CC83B1.jpeg
    BB031970-AAFC-43FC-B4E1-F36E73CC83B1.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 39CBE5AE-AD4D-4CDA-A43F-AFA60FE900E3.jpeg
    39CBE5AE-AD4D-4CDA-A43F-AFA60FE900E3.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
Being a gadget junky, I like your setup. I would have never thought of a portable weather rig for travel. We have a weather unit at home, and I really like it. I am going to use your design to make a portable weather unit for traveling. Thank both of you for, first the idea from ADK_Adventures, and second Taxus812 for the great project idea. Can not wait for the eye rolling look from DW when I tell her the idea. I also am blaming you both for making me do it, lol. See you on the trail.

ADK_ Adventures

Apr 17, 2021
one way to gauge the actual power consumption is to see if the station is rated in watts... where amps times volts equals watts... 15 w = 5 volts X 3 amps
Hi! Thank you for your reply. I just didn't look at the specs of the weather station units yet to see what they actually draw, but I'm feeling good that it's well under 3 amps.

-Amos

ADK_ Adventures

Apr 17, 2021
Just did same. I used pvc pipe for a pole (sections so i can break it down)
Its all battery operated so no power needed. However it does have a 6v plug if you want the display constantly lit.

I added a hitch to my bumper and put it vertical so i could put pole in it.

The top has 1” pvc that slides into the 1-1/4 making a telescoping pole. I cut slits in the 1-1/4 and use hose clamps to secure it. Still have to finish it but i have been testing the station all week.

Alternatively i can stick the pole in the ground at a lower height.

Raddy L7 LoRa Weather Station 1.9...

TOPTOW 63800 RV Bumper Hitch...

POWERTEC 70247 1-1/2 Inch Key...

Hello! Thank you for your reply, this was just what I was hoping for! Your setup looks great, it's kind of what I was imagining. I want to ask, are you saying that your whole station will work on alkaline batteries and you only need 6 volt power if you want the display to be on constantly? Does that mean that on battery power you can still check the screen and everything works, just that the screen doesn't stay on all the time?

Thank you for your help!

-Amos

Taxus812

Jun 1, 2010
Hello! Thank you for your reply, this was just what I was hoping for! Your setup looks great, it's kind of what I was imagining. I want to ask, are you saying that your whole station will work on alkaline batteries and you only need 6 volt power if you want the display to be on constantly? Does that mean that on battery power you can still check the screen and everything works, just that the screen doesn't stay on all the time?

Thank you for your help!

-Amos
yes, I tested it all week like that. You have to hit the light button and the screen will light up. it will shut off a few min later. when plugged in it is always lit.

SheaLoner

Apr 12, 2021
Upstate NY
yes, I tested it all week like that. You have to hit the light button and the screen will light up. it will shut off a few min later. when plugged in it is always lit.
Mind me aking a few questions on this unit? I've been looking for a weather station for my home that does NOT Need wifi. Does it have an AC plug? Also does it record data? Or just high lows?

Taxus812

Jun 1, 2010
Everything has batteries. It has wifi BUT you do not need to use it. I set mine up without it. (One gotcha is you need to power the sensors before installing the batteries in the console. I guess the console only searches for devices for so long and stops (you can pull the battery's in the console and it will search again when you out them in).

The sensors are battery only. The console is battery and AC plug. When in AC the display is always lit. On DC you need to hit button to see it.

It does not record data without using wifi and a service like wunderground. Without that you just get highs and lows.

The lacross view does but you need to be connected to wifi to access and a phone app.

I have this one in my house it just doesn't have wind direction

https://a.co/d/1dMvwgW

SheaLoner

Apr 12, 2021
Upstate NY
Everything has batteries. It has wifi BUT you do not need to use it. I set mine up without it. (One gotcha is you need to power the sensors before installing the batteries in the console. I guess the console only searches for devices for so long and stops (you can pull the battery's in the console and it will search again when you out them in).

The sensors are battery only. The console is battery and AC plug. When in AC the display is always lit. On DC you need to hit button to see it.

It does not record data without using wifi and a service like wunderground. Without that you just get highs and lows.

The lacross view does but you need to be connected to wifi to access and a phone app.

I have this one in my house it just doesn't have wind direction

https://a.co/d/1dMvwgW

Thanks. I guess Im stuck until they get around to putting internet in up here.

Taxus812

Jun 1, 2010
Just adding more pictures of it completed. I added an extendable section at the top. I also used suction cups for the bungie but the one I have a sticky back and grab WAY to hard. I am concerned that it will delaminate the sidewall. I think I will get a hook for the side of the awning.

Attachments

• IMG_4702[1].JPG
    IMG_4702[1].JPG
    349 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4704[1].JPG
    IMG_4704[1].JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 7