Weber Smokey Mountain

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
I'm thinking of taking my small smoker on our long summer trip. I'm just wondering if I'll use it enough to make lugging it with it. I'm thinking smoking some trout or salmon, a brisket, Boston butt, maybe a couple chickens.

Anyone bring theirs along?

Mytime

Mar 20, 2022
SE Missouri
I have an old Weber kettle grill that I replaced the legs with shorter ones so I can take it with me. Build a fire on one side throw some hickory in and cook on the other side. Works fine with little effort. Although a little Smokey would probably take up less space .

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I knew a camp neighbor who brought his smoker nearly every trip according to him. Then again he often cooked for multiple adults and his trips were usually long weekends or longer. He was retired his wife not yet, she sometimes joined him and His buddies later in the week. He had a TT with a large pass through storage so he had the space to keep it without always needing to lug everything back and forth in his truck. He loved smoking in his smoker and thats How he got his enjoyment When he wasn’t out fishing. I can tell you the beef brisket he brought over to me once was to die for so I can sure understand why he loved his smoker. So I say if you got the time and the space and it’s something you enjoy than go for it. Once in awhile you do want to have some excellent food While on a camping trip.

Eric Webber

Gold Supporting Member
Jul 7, 2018
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I'm thinking of taking my small smoker on our long summer trip. I'm just wondering if I'll use it enough to make lugging it with it. I'm thinking smoking some trout or salmon, a brisket, Boston butt, maybe a couple chickens.

Sometimes. But I'm more likely to bring along my homemade version that uses an 18 inch jumbo Joe plus an aftermarket midsection (I built mine, but there are many 3rd party ones you can buy)

It gives me a grill and a smoker. The WSM can grill in a pinch, but it isn't great

Or I bring a baby Kamado Joe Jr.

karen Hoffmeister

Nov 6, 2021

And how do you propose to fit it into a bear cannister?
We just had someone with a cold dead smoker locked in their porch ripped to shreds by an aeakening and HUUNNGGRRY bear.
Be careful. Maybe use the smoker 5000 feet from your campsite? They do not kid around when they are hungry NOR thru the summer.
K.H.

BBQdave

Aug 31, 2016
North Carolina
...I'm more likely to bring along my homemade version that uses an 18 inch jumbo Joe plus an aftermarket midsection...
Like my small Weber Smoken' Joe. But now you got me thinking about the Jumbo... :)

I have an Americana charcoal grill. Inexpensive take on the grill's of the 70's. Use it for smoking too. My cheat at home, is to smoke a chuck roast for an hour, then into the slow cooker to finish it off. Easy dinner :)

I do the same as you, coals to each side and a water pan in the middle. The low boil (steam) from the water pan keeps the meat moist. Would be nice to have that at camp, in the form of a Jumbo Joe :)

Eric Webber

Gold Supporting Member
Jul 7, 2018
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Like my small Weber Smoken' Joe. But now you got me thinking about the Jumbo... :)

I have an Americana charcoal grill. Inexpensive take on the grill's of the 70's. Use it for smoking too. My cheat at home, is to smoke a chuck roast for an hour, then into the slow cooker to finish it off. Easy dinner :)

I do the same as you, coals to each side and a water pan in the middle. The low boil (steam) from the water pan keeps the meat moist. Would be nice to have that at camp, in the form of a Jumbo Joe :)
IMG_4976.jpeg

Jumbo Joe is the best kept secret Weber has (besides maybe the 26 inch kettle)

Fordiesel250

Mar 28, 2010
Great thread. My wife and me when we first were married had a smoky Joe and we adored it. There was nothing we could not grill on it. Still miss it to this day

Fordiesel250

Mar 28, 2010
My story involves breaking cables while raising the roof at at campground but McGiver a fix and then putting new cables and breaking one again. A real PITA!