weight of Viking

thecakerator

Jul 3, 2008
MI
Hello all, last year we bought a N2U 1995 Viking 175SD. The lady we bought it from said the title said it weighed 900LBS, perfect for what our car could tow. Anyways just out of curiosity last year we had it weighed at our local grainery and we were told 1820LBS!! The paperwork we have for it does not state the weight of the camper and what we have found online says 900LBS is what it weighs. I was wondering if anyone out there has this camper and can verify what it weighs since we don't know where the next grainery is at to get it weighed. Oh and when we had it weighed, yes it had some stuff in it, but all total I would guess around 125LBS.

jim1999

Super Active Member
Jul 8, 2008
East Central Illinois
When you weighed, did you weigh the trailer alone, or was it still hooked up to the car? If it was hooked to the car is it possible that the rear wheels, or even a single tire was on the same platform the trailer wheels were on?

thecakerator

Jul 3, 2008
MI
Well we asked if they waited once we were over the shock of the weight on the receipt and they said they did, but we couldn't believe it was almost double what was on the title!

zinger60

Sep 7, 2008
Northern IN
I know the options we have on our Viking increase the weight of it but can't figure out why yours would weigh double what it says. I heard that you can call Viking and give them the model number and details of your pup and they can tell you the weight of it. You can also question them about the huge difference in it when you weighed it.

thecakerator

Jul 3, 2008
MI
I e mailed viking last year with our model number and they sent back a scan with information on it. It says for our camper the gross weight is 1190 the axle weight is 1040 the tongue weight is 150 and the G.V.W.R. is 1590. Now I must admit I'm not 100% sure what all these numbers mean, but would any of them make my camper weigh 1820LBS?

Storm Trooper

Home is where you park it!
Feb 14, 2008
Where my camper is parked now.
I just checked NADA and it said dry weight was 995 lbs.

Are you sure you have the correct model number?

One thing I would check before you travel with it very far is the tires. Together they would have to have a max load rating of at least 1900 to 2000 lbs in total to carry that weight safely. (individual tire rating of 950 to 1000lbs.)

The GVWR is the maximum weight Viking recommends for that pup.

Truck stops usually have scales that you can check the weight.
Try this to find a local Cat Scale.
http://www.catscale.com/locator.cfm

You are about 15% overweight. Something to definitely worry about.

jim1999

Super Active Member
Jul 8, 2008
East Central Illinois
Are you sure you have the correct model number?

I kind of thought that too but didn't ask. I did look up a 195 SD of the same year and the base weight NADA had on that was 1400 and some odd pounds.

But being a former truck driver and seeing some of the common mistakes made by truckers on scales I figured a very common possibility for the doubled weight was having the rear car tires, or even a single care tire, on the same scale platform as the camper when it was weighed.

When I drove trucks I never trusted the scales found at warehouses, scrap yards, grain yards etc. I found that all too often they were not maintained well and would only get checked whenever the state would come in and if found to be off then the place would have them serviced.

Truck stops with certified scales are checked often. They have thousands of dollars on the line as they promise their weights to be accurate and if not they will pay for any fines and legal costs a trucking company might receive due to being overweight if their scale showed them to be of legal weight.

thecakerator

Jul 3, 2008
MI
is the model number what is on the camper itself? Say by the door? Cause by our door in the same color pin striping is 175SD. I would assume that is the model number? I checked out that website, says there is a cat scale 20 miles from us so maybe we will check that out this weekend.

zinger60

Sep 7, 2008
Northern IN
I'm so glad someone posted the CAT scale website. We have had our pup since last fall and have never had it weighed when we have it loaded...I know....bad idea. I never knew where to get it weighed but now I found out there is a CAT scale just a few miles from my house at a Pilot Truck Stop. Do they charge for using it? Is there someone there that helps to weigh it or do we do it on our own? How do we know HOW to do it?

jim1999

Super Active Member
Jul 8, 2008
East Central Illinois
Yes, the truck stops charge for using the scale. 1st weigh is between $8 and $10 (been a few years since I used one) and if you need to reweigh the same day for some reason they charge a dollar or two for each reweigh.

jim1999

Super Active Member
Jul 8, 2008
East Central Illinois
Just and FYI on this issue.

ALL of the major truck stop chains have scales. Pilot, Petro, TA, Flying J.

When you get to the truck stop here is what you do.

Pull onto the scale. Make sure your trailer wheels are on one platform my themself. There will be an intercom on the scale, push the button one time and the clerk inside will ask you if this is a first weigh or reweigh. Then they will most likely ask you for a truck number and company name. Just give them your last name and say #1. They will tell you to pull off or come in to get your scale ticket. Pull off the scale and find someplace out of the way to park and go inside and get your ticket. It will be at counter for fuel sales.

thecakerator

Jul 3, 2008
MI
do you unhook the camper from your car first? If not, how do you know you are getting an accurate weight of the camper?

Flyfisherman

Super Active Member
Mar 4, 2003
Shallotte, North Carolina
What I did (with the pup all loaded) was to pull just the trailer wheels onto the scales while I was still hitched. After I got that reading, backed up and unhitched and then weighed the camper all by itself.

jim1999

Super Active Member
Jul 8, 2008
East Central Illinois
If you use the truck stop multi platform scales don't unhook. You will get a print out of what the weight on each platform is as well as the total weight. Truck stops tend to be busy places and if you take the time to hook and unhook your camper you are likely to make a lot of people really mad in a hurry.

Your print out will have at least 3 weights on them, possibly four depending on how your TV lines up. The very last line is the total weight of your TV and trailer. The weight right above that will basically be the weight of the camper and the first one or two weights will be your TV. Take the camper weight and add 10-15% to it and that will give you a very good estimate of what the camper weighs.

For example if the ticket says the camper weighs 1000 lbs add in 100-150 pounds for a camper weight of 1100-1150 lbs. The reason for adding in this extra amount is to "replace" the weight the TV is carrying on the hitch.

RayT38

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission
Jun 9, 2006
Glenburn, Maine
We have a 1994 Viking 175 and it is 900Lbs withh a GVWR of 1980LBs. Can't imagine that a 1995 would be any different. [:D]

thecakerator

Jul 3, 2008
MI
Ok I will go check out the tire rating tomorrow. I bet my '95 weighs what your '94 does. I wonder why it weighed so much at the weigh station.

thecakerator

Jul 3, 2008
MI
well we got ready to go weigh our pup today at the local CAT scales, called them to find out how much it cost's and of course, the lady who answered the phone told us no, they do NOT have truck scales at that gas station. So it doesn't look like we are going to be weighing the pup anytime soon cause the other one is quite a drive from us.

On the tire note, the tires are rated for 785lbs. So that is not good if that scale we used last year was correct.