WFCO 8735 AD converter-charger using "lead-acid" profile on lithium battery.

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
2,550
Yeah, that's what the manual now says.

from https://battlebornbatteries.com/wp-...Manual-Edition.PIM_BB10012Rev010_06232022.pdf

We recommend bringing the Battle Born batteries to a 100% state of charge. Then, disconnect the battery from any loads by removing the negative cable from one battery. On average, the batteries lose approximately 2-3% capacity per month. This is subject to increasing if stored in extreme environmental conditions.​

 
Interesting. As mentioned, when I charged my Renogy in "lead-acid" mode, I never reached 100% charge. And as we know, that's because the lead-acid profile doesn't maintain 14.2-14.6 Amps. When I had success with the lithium profile, my Renogy charged from 2% to 100% in about 4+ hours. I was happy with that because it means my four cells got balanced. I see no need to keep it at 100% from now on except to top off occasionally to balance the cells. When the battery is unattended, I'd be comfortable with any charge less than 100%.
 

rth3775

Member
Apr 26, 2020
19
Rochester, NY
That's a good path. I think if I had to do it over again, I would prefer having the direct switch method.
Thanks for sharing your experience with it!

How did the swap out go, assuming you did it yourself? From reading the manuals and comparing the 8735P vs 8735AD/8735LiS, it looks like the exact same connections between models so in theory it should a 1-for-1 swap out?
 
The swap went fine. I took my time. I separated all the ground wires, put ring terminals on them and connected them to a ground bus bar mounted within 8-10 inches from the back of the WFCO. I also installed a terminal block and fastened fork terminals to the wires and labeled the connections on the terminal block. (All the wires had been bundled under wire nuts.) Once I did this, removing and replacing the WFCO units was fairly straightforward. It certainly made matching the identical wires a cinch. Best thing—everything worked after I was done. The primary video I used as my initial reference was on this YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxlWjzGLeb8&t=2s&ab_channel=TabTrailerUpgradesandMaintenance
 
The swap went fine. I took my time. I separated all the ground wires, put ring terminals on them and connected them to a ground bus bar mounted within 8-10 inches from the back of the WFCO. I also installed a terminal block and fastened fork terminals to the wires and labeled the connections on the terminal block. (All the wires had been bundled under wire nuts.) Once I did this, removing and replacing the WFCO units was fairly straightforward. It certainly made matching the identical wires a cinch. Best thing—everything worked after I was done. The primary video I used as my initial reference was on this YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxlWjzGLeb8&t=2s&ab_channel=TabTrailerUpgradesandMaintenance
Yes, the swap is a "1-to-1" swap—even down to the cabinet hole size and screw holes.
 

rth3775

Member
Apr 26, 2020
19
Rochester, NY
The swap went fine. I took my time. I separated all the ground wires, put ring terminals on them and connected them to a ground bus bar mounted within 8-10 inches from the back of the WFCO. I also installed a terminal block and fastened fork terminals to the wires and labeled the connections on the terminal block. (All the wires had been bundled under wire nuts.) Once I did this, removing and replacing the WFCO units was fairly straightforward. It certainly made matching the identical wires a cinch. Best thing—everything worked after I was done. The primary video I used as my initial reference was on this YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxlWjzGLeb8&t=2s&ab_channel=TabTrailerUpgradesandMaintenance
Excellent video, thank you... I don't have an access panel overtop of the unit like he does, so getting at the wires thru the mounting hole of the unit itself seems to be one of my biggest challenges since I doubt the manufacturer left a generous amount of slack!!
 
Excellent video, thank you... I don't have an access panel overtop of the unit like he does, so getting at the wires thru the mounting hole of the unit itself seems to be one of my biggest challenges since I doubt the manufacturer left a generous amount of slack!!
You're welcome! I had the access panel above. That certainly made it easier. I've seen on other "swap" videos, one for a Progressive Dynamics unit PD-4135K, whereby there was no overhead panel. Here's one example: Meanwhile, good luck if you venture ahead, which of course will make it easier in the future to troubleshoot when you have an electrical problem.
 
You're welcome! I had the access panel above. That certainly made it easier. I've seen on other "swap" videos, one for a Progressive Dynamics unit PD-4135K, whereby there was no overhead panel. Here's one example: Meanwhile, good luck if you venture ahead, which of course will make it easier in the future to troubleshoot when you have an electrical problem.

In this video example, the Progressive Dynamics model is a PD-4045 unit (45 amps). I kept to a 35 amp model so I would have no wire-size issues.
 




Top