What’s the best pop up camper made from 2000 - 2010?

waldosworlds

Jul 30, 2022
I just bought a 2006 Fleetwood Niagara and I absolutely love it - I feel like I did a lot of homework beforehand and really came to the conclusion that this really is the best camper out there. When you factor in things like cost, quality of parts, accessibility to parts, size, layout, amenities, tow weight etc etc - I feel like this is THE ONE! I want to see what everybody else thinks - is there a better camper out there?! Thanks! Best to all!!

- Waldo

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
That generation of pups. Jayco Jay series were superior
Agree, the Jayco stuff built back then was pretty solid, and well thought out. Unlike the Coleman ABS debacle, they actually got their ABS roof right. A far superior product IMO.

BriNat

Apr 11, 2022
I just bought a 2006 Fleetwood Niagara and I absolutely love it - I feel like I did a lot of homework beforehand and really came to the conclusion that this really is the best camper out there. When you factor in things like cost, quality of parts, accessibility to parts, size, layout, amenities, tow weight etc etc - I feel like this is THE ONE! I want to see what everybody else thinks - is there a better camper out there?! Thanks! Best to all!!

- Waldo
I have the 2005 Fleetwood Niagara. New to me this year, and I have to say I love it. Family had been out for 2 trips so far and more to come. I've already reapholstered the cushions and done all the curtains as mine didn't have any, planning on doing a bunch more next spring.

Eric Webber

Gold Supporting Member
Jul 7, 2018
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
We have a fleetwood Arcadia. A 2008.

Basically the Niagara high wall but with a couch/bunk where the Niagara has a microwave counter. I think it’s a hair better of a design because I don’t even use the microwave we have at home (yes, my wife laughs at how I have no idea how long to put anything in for)

Is it the best? Maybe. But not if you are towing with something smaller. The rock wood high walls are nice but I like the dual king beds the fleetwoods have.

But I do love this camper. Sleeps a small army if needed and has more amenities than people expect in a popup. It does also have a much too small grey, black, and fresh tank which is a hassle when staying anywhere longer than 2 days.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I agree with The comment that the best pup is the one that works best for the family. i had a old 1990 Jayco that I absolutely loved even as bare bones as it was. It was super sturdy. When I was looking to upgrade I really didn’t want another manufacturer until my 04 Fleetwood Utah became available at A price I could afford and it didn’t need a s*it ton of work as everything else in my price range needed. There are things I liked better on the Jayco and things I like better on my new camper. However I can’t complain too much as I really do love my Utah. I absolutely love my sink, stove, and slideout however I really hate this stupid roof. My roof tracks have been leaking central since I’ve bought this camper. They are now torn off and replaced with eternabond tape and little issues after that. However the damage has been done. With that said compared to what I’m seeing on the market now I hope this lasts me a whole lot longer because I’m not seeing what I like in the market now. Something being said about the older campers where They still used metal And not the cheap plastic I’m seeing in everything now.

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
With that said compared to what I’m seeing on the market now I hope this lasts me a whole lot longer because I’m not seeing what I like in the market now. Something being said about the older campers where They still used metal And not the cheap plastic I’m seeing in everything now.
Manufacturers in all industries have really caught onto the fact that more money can be made by cheaping out and making the useful life of a product shorter. Just look at appliances. I've got a 30yr old beer fridge in my garage and I'm on my second fridge in 9yrs in our kitchen!

I don't know about you, but I'd rather spend a bit more to get something that would last, but no one offers that option any more... only offering junk at high prices

awsandlin

Super Active Member
Mar 3, 2008

- Waldo
For many years I had a 2004 Utah and really enjoyed it. I no longer have the trailer but I have the "Add a Room" that came with it new. The Add a Room has never been used. I am trying to give it away as I want it to be used rather than me just sending it to the land fill. It is for a 12 trailer. If you are interested in it, send me a PM and you can have it.

jonkquil

Super Active Member
Jul 20, 2009
I think GalsofEscape nailed it with their answer.

My HW27KS would not be at the top of the list, as far as best for build quality, and I would rank my previous Fleetwood Westlake way above it. However, it scores top marks for floorplan, amenities and just sheer delightfulness!

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
Well....I too have an Arcadia* and as stated above, it's pretty much the same as the Niagara. Does the 2006 have the built-in gray tank? Cuz that kicks it up a tiny notch! Some of the Niagara/Arcadias from the period you listed don't have that.

It's perfect for a big popup, but sometimes I wish I'd gotten a tiny one. (Then my kids start fighting or the dog starts farting and I'm glad for the space.)

*I would have taken a Niagara had it come up when I was looking for a used popup, or any of the Fleetwood/Coleman HWs, but Arcadia was my first choice due to not having a wasted microwave.