What changes when your dog comes camping?

jnbarrett

Mar 30, 2022
Winnipeg, MB
i take my Great Danes camping and they are great at it. I do put bark collars on them when they are at the trailer because I know how much I HATE a barking dog so to be sure they are quiet they wear the collars just for reassurance. I also put a pen around my trailer for the dogs because of how big they are, on tie outs it makes other people nervous walking around them so keep everyone safe I use 2 40" tall pens that are staked into the ground. This year I am going to add a third pen as 2 is not quite big enough with the size of my dogs (one is 110lbs and the other one is 140lbs)

PUP camping must be challenging with such huge beasts lol .... my male GSP is 70lbs and already a bit much when it come to space he takes up, and my female is only 55lbs.

Apr 18, 2022
PUP camping must be challenging with such huge beasts lol .... my male GSP is 70lbs and already a bit much when it come to space he takes up, and my female is only 55lbs.
I live in an apartment right now so it is not too much smaller than that lol and my older Dane, she is 6 on the 22 of April, she is very laid back and an old soul and the younger one that doesnt turn 3 until this November she is a busy bee, the pens are really easy to set up, uses pins, and I use stakes to secure it and that is far better than having to stress about tie outs and the younger one taking someone out with it. It takes longer to set the pop up than it does the pens. I have a bit of tweeking to do with the set up this year i am homing i can get the work my pop up needs done so i can take the camper out but if not, she will be all ready for next year

jnbarrett

Mar 30, 2022
Winnipeg, MB
I live in an apartment right now so it is not too much smaller than that lol and my older Dane, she is 6 on the 22 of April, she is very laid back and an old soul and the younger one that doesnt turn 3 until this November she is a busy bee, the pens are really easy to set up, uses pins, and I use stakes to secure it and that is far better than having to stress about tie outs and the younger one taking someone out with it. It takes longer to set the pop up than it does the pens. I have a bit of tweeking to do with the set up this year i am homing i can get the work my pop up needs done so i can take the camper out but if not, she will be all ready for next year

The plus side is that Danes are usually pretty laid back in general. I'm dealing with two "ballistic fur missiles" lol

TheBlurb

Mar 28, 2019
i take my Great Danes camping and they are great at it. I do put bark collars on them when they are at the trailer because I know how much I HATE a barking dog so to be sure they are quiet they wear the collars just for reassurance. I also put a pen around my trailer for the dogs because of how big they are, on tie outs it makes other people nervous walking around them so keep everyone safe I use 2 40" tall pens that are staked into the ground. This year I am going to add a third pen as 2 is not quite big enough with the size of my dogs (one is 110lbs and the other one is 140lbs)
Bark collars? Never heard of that. And I see your point about pens—not everyone will see the tie out cables.

PaThacker

Super Active Member
Feb 11, 2010
Poconos
I have the epitome of escape artist that can climb trees, scale fences, and love able. The Treeing Walking Coonhound. Just over a year cold and destroyed every crate she’s been in. Good times camping with her. She goes everywhere.

Attachments

• BD89A6B2-3D90-4040-BC48-968ED59279B8.jpeg
    BD89A6B2-3D90-4040-BC48-968ED59279B8.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 2
Jul 28, 2021
Our new puppy will soon be going camping for the first time. We’re going away for 2.5 weeks, and the pup will be sleeping in the pup.

We’re new dog owners, but my wife and I had dogs growing up.

Any advice for managing the dog at the campground? And in the trailer sleeping? We’re still trying to get our heads around it. Right now he sleeps in a crate at home (he’s small: a havanese-yorkie), but fitting a crate and 3 kids in the pup might be too crowded. As for the daytime, im thinking a very long leash would give him enough freedom and comfort at the campsite (too young to be trusted off-leash). My wife thought of setting up a fenced area, but that seems like too much bother on a trip that’ll take us to several different campgrounds.
Love your thoughts.
We don’t bring crates. Our two labs sleep on the other side of out pop up from my wife and I. I did buy a baby pen to put around the door so the dogs can be outside off leash. And so they don’t run off. They are good dogs, so it’s easy.

PointyCamper

Nov 25, 2015
I have the epitome of escape artist that can climb trees, scale fences, and love able. The Treeing Walking Coonhound. Just over a year cold and destroyed every crate she’s been in. Good times camping with her. She goes everywhere.
Love Walkers! And they are excellent tree climbers, especially if the tree contains a feral cat 😜. Great pets and ours were couch potatoes!
And yours is beautiful!

jnbarrett

Mar 30, 2022
Winnipeg, MB
Everyone uses these at our dog trials for staking out all their dogs.. They work amazing and no tangles with long cords. Dog has a radius they can travel in.

Katskamper

Super Active Member
Nov 21, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
behemoth Bella was a young adult when i got her, totally untrained . my boy dog Barney was a pro camper. we went camping a week later. she freaked at first. but, barney wasnt upset, so she calmed down.
now, i pack bags, shes ready.

absolutely always on leash, teach kids to keep always on leash. & glowsticks for nighttime

SkeatMyFurman

May 7, 2022
Our new puppy will soon be going camping for the first time. We’re going away for 2.5 weeks, and the pup will be sleeping in the pup.

We’re new dog owners, but my wife and I had dogs growing up.

Any advice for managing the dog at the campground? And in the trailer sleeping? We’re still trying to get our heads around it. Right now he sleeps in a crate at home (he’s small: a havanese-yorkie), but fitting a crate and 3 kids in the pup might be too crowded. As for the daytime, im thinking a very long leash would give him enough freedom and comfort at the campsite (too young to be trusted off-leash). My wife thought of setting up a fenced area, but that seems like too much bother on a trip that’ll take us to several different campgrounds.
Love your thoughts.
I too will be taking fur kids on a 2-wk camping vacation in Aug to AZ. Mine are used to traveling so that part should be smooth. Sleeping in newly acquired pup will be new experience. I plan to spend some nights in the pup with my pups so they can get the feel of being in it before we leave home. That way, I can adjust who sleeps where & let them know what TO expect & what WILL BE expected of them in their behavior.

Camping isn't new here, however it is "new again for me & 2nd time in a pup" & 1st time camping in other than 5th wheel for fur kids. We are used to sleeping with TV or radio on all night, so keeping that familiar to them, I'm hoping will help ease them thru adjustments into pop-up.

I'm also adding some additional hooks & anchors for elastic cording & canvas wrap under beds to make more secure against accidental fall out. Table may also be removed to make room for crate in floor if need be. I'm taking folding TV trays to use in place of table if needed. I'm taking a bug tent to store extra things in rather than keeping them in pup all the time. Over the years, I have found small - medium suitcases are easy to manage, stack & store easily (pots, pans, kitchen bowls etc, towels etc, unlimited uses. Makes more room inside campers.

Hope these tips help.

SkeatMyFurman

May 7, 2022
Don't know about other states but Georgia state parks specify a six-foot leash. I got 21 stitches in hands and arms from a German Shepherd on a 20 foot leash in a Georgia state park.. Lucky I did not fall down, in which case my face would have been ripped apart. I STILL love dogs! Dog owners must be responsible for their dogs!

I'd love to see the loops on your lead. Interesting to change lengths at will! In
I have to take my 2 little dogs when we go camping. No one to leave them with. Mine are small: 1 Tiny toy poodle (6#) and a miniature dachshund V(12#). Both them and the grandson sleep with me in the bed. My son has a dog he brings -- A Texas Heeler about 40#. Very well trained and mindful. My son's GF brought her Pit along last camping trip, about 90# of bumbling puppyness. UGH!! Not enough room with the Pit. 4 dogs is too many!!
I have 2 Pekes & a Malamute that go with me often, most everywhere I go. The Malamyte is very well leash trained as are the Pekes, but usually, I gave the baby (puppy) in a lessons carrier like for human infant & rides in front of me, & other one in a baby stroller that seat reclines flat. Often both pekes ride in it together. They know to not jump out no matter what & don't try but for safety when going to flea markets. They are short tethered to the stroller. They love riding in the stroller. The malamute walk along with it. If they didn't behave, I couldn't & wouldn't take them. No need for expensive pet strollers, just a good ole regular baby stroller works great. Always rewards for their very good behavior when back home or camp.