What food item has unexpectedly become a camping staple for you?

CamperChrissy

Nov 25, 2016
Chicago suburbs
This morning I'm packing up food for our first trip of the year, leaving this afternoon. I had a chuckle to myself as I thought, time to make the pasta salad! The backstory is that when we first started camping a few years ago, I didn't trust the fridge to keep things cold and didn't want any side dishes with mayo or eggs or other stuff that might go bad. So I thought, oh pasta salad is noodles, Italian dressing, veggies, pepperoni - perfect! When we went on that first trip, my DH was SO EXCITED to have pasta salad because I don't often make it at home. I enjoyed it also. He requested it again the next trip and the next. So now it is just permanently on my packing list!

Do you all have any food or drink items that accidentally became a camping staple?

Jonson01

Sep 4, 2018
Southern IL
This morning I'm packing up food for our first trip of the year, leaving this afternoon. I had a chuckle to myself as I thought, time to make the pasta salad! The backstory is that when we first started camping a few years ago, I didn't trust the fridge to keep things cold and didn't want any side dishes with mayo or eggs or other stuff that might go bad. So I thought, oh pasta salad is noodles, Italian dressing, veggies, pepperoni - perfect! When we went on that first trip, my DH was SO EXCITED to have pasta salad because I don't often make it at home. I enjoyed it also. He requested it again the next trip and the next. So now it is just permanently on my packing list!

Do you all have any food or drink items that accidentally became a camping staple?

That is a cool story! I am starting to introduce my son to camping and bought our first pup last year. I am so excited to have stories and maybe accident staples that make it into our camping history!! Happy camping! Thanx for sharing!

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
As crazy as it sounds, breakfast burritos.
Backstory: I was camping on a hot summer day In bear country so food had to stay in the car. I was going to make traditional eggs bacon and toast but found my bread went moldy sitting in the hot car. I had tortillas and they were fine. So decided to make a breakfast burrito instead. Now every camping trip even if I'm not in bear country I just bring totillas and make breakfast burritos instead. Also a great way to use up left over fajitas from the night before. I Make sandwich wraps and everything else with torillas now. II Don' bother bringing regular bread as much anymore.

BikeNFish

Super Active Member
Apr 24, 2017
Maplewood, MN
At home, I have done a pretty good job at changing my eating habits over the years to be of the healthy variety (lots of fruits, vegetable, etc.). But for some reason, I always bring a big bag of peanut M&M's and a package of Double Stuff Oreo's when we take out the camper.

It's the only time of the year I indulge in them. When we get to the campsite, the DW scolds me relentlessly as she grabs a handful for herself. [LOL]

Jonson01

Sep 4, 2018
Southern IL
I have a need to cook hot dogs over the campfire at least once. Left over from boy scouts. And they last forever.
New thing is popcorn over the campfire. I have a popcorn bucket thing.
Last is to use the pie iron at least once. For anything. Thats camping......

When my cousins and I were young we did the same thing with the pie iron! ANYTHING!

BikeNFish

Super Active Member
Apr 24, 2017
Maplewood, MN
Dinty Moore beef stew
When growing up in the 70's, our family called Dinty Moore Beef Stew "Bear Stew".

Our family was camping somewhere in Montana in our 1972 Skamper pup, and we had some leftover Dinty Moore that ended up in the garbage can at the entrance of our campsite. After dinner I took a walk around the campground with my father. During a long winded conversation that my father was having with another camper on the opposite side of the campground, I decided to make my way back to our camper alone because it was now nearly dark and I was tired of waiting for him. As I approached the the campsite entrance, I noticed no one was around the obligatory evening campfire and there were playing cards scattered on the ground. That is when I heard my brother and mother yelling out from inside the camper, "Run! There is a bear next to you!!". It was so dark that I didn't see the black bear eating the leftover Dinty Moore Beef stew out of the garbage can right next to me. Luckily, the bear was much more interested in the stew than it was in me.

From that point forward, it was "Bear Stew".

Latest posts