What kind to TV do you pull with?

What kind of TV do you use?

  • Old school pickup truck (2 doors)

    Votes: 8 3.7%
  • Crew cab pickup/extended cab (4 doors?/ Seats)

    Votes: 83 38.2%
  • minivan (Honda oddesy, chrysler town & country, Ford Windstar, etc)

    Votes: 19 8.8%
  • full size van

    Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Smaller SUV (Ford escape, Jeep Grand cherokee, Nissan xterra, etc)

    Votes: 52 24.0%
  • Full size SUV (Ford bronco, Chevy suburban, Toyots Sequoia, etc)

    Votes: 36 16.6%
  • Station wagon (Dodge magnum, buick roadmaster, etc)

    Votes: 2 0.9%
  • coupe or sedan (2 or 4 door cars)

    Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Crossover (ford edge, chrysler pacifica, etc)

    Votes: 7 3.2%

  • Total voters
    217

Jeepin Dad

Active Member
Sep 6, 2011
301
2007 Jeep Wrangler

100_0435.jpg
 

BillNH60

a bad day camping is just better than working
Jun 11, 2011
172
I have Dodge Dakota quad cab (4 doors) just because I can't tow with a 90 Miata, also DGDs won't ride on trunk lid of miata [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [:D]
 

PopupG

Active Member
Sep 12, 2009
169
I picked minivan, aka (loser cruiser!) lol, say what you want about mini vans but they are handy.
 

disneysandi

Active Member
Jul 30, 2011
341
I was not sure what to check. I tow with an Astro. It is not a minivan. It is not a full size van either. It is on a truck chassis though and my bf calls it a truck. I consider it more in the SUV class but it is not an SUV either. So, what do I check?
 

Camp-N-Nuts

KrustyKamper
Aug 9, 2011
2,025
Central WI
disneysandi said:
I was not sure what to check. I tow with an Astro. It is not a minivan. It is not a full size van either. It is on a truck chassis though and my bf calls it a truck. I consider it more in the SUV class but it is not an SUV either. So, what do I check?

It's more mini-van than anything! (Sorry [:!]). SUV is wishful thinking. [;)] Mini vans are just panel trucks with windows! [SUN] [8D]
 

disneysandi

Active Member
Jul 30, 2011
341
Minivans are on a car chassis and have front wheel drive. Astros are on a truck chassis and have rear wheel drive. I have driven a minivan, full size van, truck, SUV, car, and many Astros. The Astro does NOT drive like a minivan. A minivan typically has a tow capacity of no more than 3500#. Astros are typically 5200#. I LOVED the way my Sienna drove and handled but it could not tow like my Astro. I like that my Astro has the short hood though. I hate driving my bf's Avalanche because of the long hood.
 

Camp-N-Nuts

KrustyKamper
Aug 9, 2011
2,025
Central WI
disneysandi said:
Minivans are on a car chassis and have front wheel drive. Astros are on a truck chassis and have rear wheel drive. I have driven a minivan, full size van, truck, SUV, car, and many Astros. The Astro does NOT drive like a minivan. A minivan typically has a tow capacity of no more than 3500#. Astros are typically 5200#. I LOVED the way my Sienna drove and handled but it could not tow like my Astro. I like that my Astro has the short hood though. I hate driving my bf's Avalanche because of the long hood.

The "windowed" panel truck was the precursor to the min-van.
 

Campit

EAT SLEEP CAMP
Sep 16, 2011
1,638
2007 Toyota Tundra Crew Max. The big gal probably could pull about four popups, oh well! I love her for the room she has. Comes in handy on long hauls.
 

disneysandi

Active Member
Jul 30, 2011
341
Yes, the Astro was the precursor to the minivan. It still does not make it a minivan. It is in class by itself. I just wish they still made them.
 

mdigby

Active Member
Sep 9, 2007
279
disneysandi

I started the poll and I too have an Astro (well mine is actually an AWD GMC Safari)

I agree with you that it is an "in-between" choice. I chose Mini-van but you may choose "full size" if you prefer. I tried to limit the categories for vehicle types, so that there weren't 500 to choose from.

I realize that many TVs don't fit into may choices neatly. I guess we need to do the best we can. [8D] [8D]

Here is a picture of my TV and camper.

PICT1530.jpg


PICT1531.jpg
 

JamesRL

Super Active Member
Nov 1, 2007
1,691
Brampton, Ontario
Actually, the Astro/Safari were not precussors to the minivan, they came well after the first "popular" minivan, the Chrysler/Dodge minivans. But while the Chrysler vans were built on a front wheel drive car platform, the Astro/Safari were built on the full size rear wheel drive station wagon platform. Thats why they can tow more. Ford also made a similar rear wheel drive van, the Aerostar.
 

Blkvoodoo

Active Member
Aug 21, 2011
524
....and to add, the Astro/Safari are NOT full framed vehicles, they have a front subframe like F-body Cameros and Firebirds, and a unitized rear body structure. many also use composite single leaf rear springs ( basically long strand fiberglass laminate )

good vehicles, wish they still made them.
 

KJcachers

Super Active Member
Nov 30, 2010
1,349
disneysandi said:
Yes, the Astro was the precursor to the minivan. It still does not make it a minivan. It is in class by itself. I just wish they still made them.

X2. We had a loaded 02 RWD that I finally traded away at 210k a few years back. Wish I still had it now for the tow rating and space!


Sent from my iPhone4 using the Tapatalk App!
 

disneysandi

Active Member
Jul 30, 2011
341
I towed my first popup which was an 05 Fleetwood with my 96 Astro. I drove that until it had almost 200K on it. My current one only has 63K on it. It took forever to find one.
 




Top