What? Returning to Pop-Up or even worse??

Canoe2fish

Apr 14, 2014
Ontario, Canada
So after trying seasonal, we have decided to sell. It was great to have a cottage like set up but we never went anywhere else. And the costs are getting silly when you add dock fees, taxes etc

We want to hit the road again but won’t buy a full size TV so our old, mothballed tent trailer will get dusted off again as long as I can provide DW with a nice, on-site comfort station. (Fully equipped shower/toilet tent)

Because my fishing boat has become the big thing for both, we might even go back to GASP…WAIT FOR IT….TENT CAMPING too!

So I think I might have 2 ways to go;
1) Pop up with canoe/kayaks/12’ tinny
2) tents and fishing boat.

So I’m off planning a comfort station and a fully equipped kitchen chuck box as we don’t cook inside the Pop up ever.

Back to basics and road trips again….and a whole lot of savings.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Nothing wrong to going back to the basics. I still occasionally take my tent out myself as I miss some of those really out of the way spots I used to go to. Or even the simplicity of just throwing the tent and sleeping bag in the car and go. Then it rains, and I think, I'm thankful for the popup. The popup although harder to set up is way easier to tow and that is something I really love about it.

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
New York State, Erie County
@Canoe2fish ...we tented for years before we got our Starcraft Starflyer...

hitched it to DW"s Grand Caravan... 14' Canoe loaded on top of the van and bike rack hanging off the back gate

traipesed and camped all over the mountains of NY and PA...never a problem

the Starflyer got totaled in the fall of 2020 so we started 2021 back to our tent until we got the Clipper Express near the end of the summer... yes, it was a step backwards but, nothing was going to keep us from camping

we never cook, or cooked, in the PUP (we never cooked in our tent, either)... nor, did we ever "POOP" in our tent. we have a seperate shower/poop tent for that (DW never wanted an "on-board" toilet)

The tent (s) and the PUPs are just "means to an end" and that is camping, canoeing, fishing, hiking and biking.

along with the towing capability, the Grand Caravan, with the Stow-N-Go seats let's me get full 4x8 sheets of plywood, flat on the floor, with the gate closed so, i get to keep my "Man-Card"

I'll just leave you with this... two words... "Yes, Dear" and , to add, "Happy Wife, Happy Life"

Happy Trails!

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
I think I found my hot water supply system and outdoor sink
👍... their stuff has been on my "wish list"... LOVE their ENSUITE double (their VIDS are funny)

I admit, I'm like a cat with a laser light when it comes to new gear...ooo ooo, look at this..gotta have it...DW says NO... when what we already have breaks down, then we'll talk... "but, Honey!!" raely works on her

Happy Trails!

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
If you get a pop up, you can get one with a toilet and hot water. Maybe no need for a seprate water heater. From what I read, your going from a seasonal TT to something smaller. Many have outside stoves and showers also. Some have inside showers though they are not great. A pop up and a shower tent may be what your after.

Canoe2fish

Apr 14, 2014
Ontario, Canada
If you get a pop up, you can get one with a toilet and hot water. Maybe no need for a seprate water heater. From what I read, your going from a seasonal TT to something smaller. Many have outside stoves and showers also. Some have inside showers though they are not great. A pop up and a shower tent may be what your after.
IF we buy another. DW still not 100% sold on this idea. She would rather travel in a C class MH, which in our retirement may be a thing for the first few years. I might buy bigger used and do a custom build/mod for a fun driveway project though.

I think I will still invest in a hot water system for a shower/washroom tent so it will serve the Pup or tent camp outings. My Son and his wife will use it too, likely often as they are huge campers.

Canoe2fish

Apr 14, 2014
Ontario, Canada
👍... their stuff has been on my "wish list"... LOVE their ENSUITE double (their VIDS are funny)

I admit, I'm like a cat with a laser light when it comes to new gear...ooo ooo, look at this..gotta have it...DW says NO... when what we already have breaks down, then we'll talk... "but, Honey!!" raely works on her

Happy Trails!
I know right??? Tech gloss or G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome)

I was thinking of how I’d set one up and google found this one. And with van life being so popular it stands to reason that these product would take off. Pretty good market for a lot of things right now actually

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
So after trying seasonal, we have decided to sell. It was great to have a cottage like set up but we never went anywhere else. And the costs are getting silly when you add dock fees, taxes etc

We want to hit the road again but won’t buy a full size TV so our old, mothballed tent trailer will get dusted off again as long as I can provide DW with a nice, on-site comfort station. (Fully equipped shower/toilet tent)

Because my fishing boat has become the big thing for both, we might even go back to GASP…WAIT FOR IT….TENT CAMPING too!

So I think I might have 2 ways to go;
1) Pop up with canoe/kayaks/12’ tinny
2) tents and fishing boat.

So I’m off planning a comfort station and a fully equipped kitchen chuck box as we don’t cook inside the Pop up ever.

Back to basics and road trips again….and a whole lot of savings.
We tent camped at the end of last summer, now I know I really like have my little aliner, you get stuck inside a tent while its raining it sucks, you get stuck inside a camper, it's so much more comfortable.

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
We tent camped at the end of last summer, now I know I really like have my little aliner, you get stuck inside a tent while its raining it sucks, you get stuck inside a camper, it's so much more comfortable.
@Susan Premo ... we've always had a canopy tent to go over the picnic table, but the old one was getting "long in the tooth"

when the Starflyer died, and we went back to tenting, we no longer had the luxury of hanging out in the PUP

we ditched the old canopy and bought one of these

plenty of room to hang out in... cook, play games, etc., ...and, with our Mr. Buddy heater, with early Spring/Late Autumn camping, it stays nice and toasty inside.

PS:.. we also got the side panels... initial thought was to mitigate the rain but, like I said, they keep the heat in too

Happy Trails!

Mark CASTELLANI

Aug 23, 2019
@Susan Premo ... we've always had a canopy tent to go over the picnic table, but the old one was getting "long in the tooth"

when the Starflyer died, and we went back to tenting, we no longer had the luxury of hanging out in the PUP

plenty of room to hang out in... cook, play games, etc., ...and, with our Mr. Buddy heater, with early Spring/Late Autumn camping, it stays nice and toasty inside.

PS:.. we also got the side panels... initial thought was to mitigate the rain but, like I said, they keep the heat in too

Happy Trails!
FULL DISCLOSURE...we DID NOT get the deluxe... got the basic G6 and bought the side panels separately (copied the wrong URL link)

but, now that I've seen the Deluxe, I'm kicking myself in the rear

DANG!!!

Happy Trails!

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota

Happy Trails!
We have a small clam, traveler. It's nice too, the wind screens help a bit with the rain.

Canoe2fish

Apr 14, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Oh for sure. However whether we Pup or tent, I suspend a big tarp over everything if rain on the forecast so we can sit outside in rain or sun. We have these big comfy camp chairs and also a pair of zero gravity chairs so, actually more comfy outdoors. We turn in to sleep or if the bugs are too bad