What spices do you carry for healthier cooking?

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
At least two local Mediterranean places offer shawarma wraps that are basically shawarma version of a gyro. My dad really likes those. We’re not purists around here. When out camping I say toss together whatever you want!
Because we do so much batch cooking and freezing, even at home we eat some interesting combinations, whatever appeals at the moment.

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
Love Gyros, love Tzatickiticki sauce (won’t even try lol) but I (shamefully) have to ask, “what is shawarma?”

Jan 31, 2022
Arkansas
So what spices are you carrying in your rig on a regular basis?
I have a small former sprinkles container with 6 compartments for different spices. I have salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and smoked paprika. I bring it in after each trip so I can refill.
If I want herbs like oregano and basil, parsley, I snip some from my home plants prior to the trip.
I have only been on about half a dozen trips so far. For context.

Sep 25, 2021
We have one of those silicone caddies that hang between your two kitchen sinks that we use for camping spices. It's super convenient to just grab when cooking and put back when done. As for the sprices themselves, we don't go for many of the pre mixed blends because they almost always have fillers in them that aren't healthy (who needs potato starch in their tacos???) so what we do is make up our own blends from single-ingredient spices. We have found various containers over the years for camping spices - the sprinkles container thing is awesome. You can also find cool containers at camping stores sometimes - we have a sleeve of five little glass ones that screw together lid to jar to lid etc. that are very nice. I just use painters tape and a sharpie to label everything. We also always meal plan before we camp, so if we have something like a curry on the menu we make and pack the curry seasoning before we go, we don't keep it packed all the time. Things we do keep packed are salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, oregano, basil, chipotle blend (for fried potatoes) and steak/pork rub.

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
Sal
So as I am setting up the kitchen in the camper, I decided I was going to try to keep up the momentum of cooking healthier meals. But healthy does NOT have to be bland.

So I decided as I am planning on getting out of the house and on the beach or in the forest at least every couple of weeks, no sense in having to raid my pantry at home every time for spices, so off to my local Aldi I went for some seasoning help...

I found most, not all, of the spices I want / need for my cooking there.

So far I have the following, and yes I have some of them for specifically holiday meal planning...

Stonewall Original Salt Free Seasoning Blend. A.K.A. generic Mrs. Dash... I use it in my eggs in the morning.
Poultry Seasoning.
Steak Seasoning.
Southwest Chipotle Seasoning. (That stuff is awesome dry rubbed onto chicken that is then grilled).
Ground Cinnamon
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Minced Onion. I have seen this in other brands called onion flakes, whatever, dehydrated onion...
Ground Nutmeg, yes holiday stuff.
Italian Seasnoning.
Ground Cumin
Chili Powder

These are all 3ozish bottles. I avoided the seasoning salt as the bottle was huge, looking for 3oz ish bottle of that, and the worst thing, I KNOW I am forgetting stuff...

Now packet seasoning is simple. Reduced sodium Taco Seasoning.

I am trying to not go low carb per se, but improve the quality of carbs (complex vs simple carbs) and reduce as much as possible artificial ingredients that could cause inflamation.

What I did not find there, and need to look for elsewhere is...

Greek Seasoning.
Creole Seasoning
Blackened Seasoning
Adams BBQ Rub.
Ground cloves
Picnic size salt & pepper

The worst part about this is, I know I am not taking too much in the way of spices. I am worried about not having what I need when I need it.

So what spices are you carrying in your rig on a regular bas

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
Look for Coghlan's Multi-Spice, and Coghlan's Multi-Grill.

These are shakers that contain 6 (for multi-spice) and 4 (for multi-grill) segments. Each segment contains either one spice, or a blend of spices. They're really convenient for camping.

The multi-spice has salt, pepper, curry, garlic powder, paprika, ...and one other I don't remember. The multi-grill has blends for grilling various types of meats.

Anyway, that's what I bring. I usually marinate meat ahead of time, put it in ziplocks, and freeze it for use on the day I need it. Then in the morning of the day i'll be needing it, I just take it out of the cooler and let it defrost. But having some general purpose spices as mentioned above is useful.

Even though I do a lot of cooking when I camp, part of the success of camp cooking is preparing as much as is practical and safe, at home. Like if we are going to make pizzas in our pizza oven, we'll pre-make the dough at home. If we're going to have tacos, the meat will be chopped and pre-marinated at home, and any fresh toppings that can be chopped ahead of time will be, as well.

We use a CampChef Yukon 2-burner stove, along with attachments for grilling, griddling, and baking (small items like pizza, rolls, flat breads). I have it converted to use the built-in propane supply, or with another little hose attachment, hook up to a standard 20-pound tank. The setup works great.