What was your first camper you had?

vagov

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
This is the same one if memory serves me well, except I’m pretty certain we had a 1971. Model year. However I’ don’t recall having a interior flush toilet. So I may be wrong . My dad said he paid $200 for it off a colored man. From Meadow. Street in East Liberty. Section of Pittsburgh.

Attachments

• 7AD24EFF-59EF-4AE4-9504-4771A595C64F.png
    7AD24EFF-59EF-4AE4-9504-4771A595C64F.png
    569.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Nice and what a great memory. My family tent camped up until I was 15 and my brothers were 9 and 12. After a very nasty storm at myrtle beach which caused our tent to collapse in the wind, and rain flooded the tent, the boys threatened they never ever ever wanted to camp again. My mom decided to buy our 1990 Jayco popup camper so she can continue camping and still keep the boys somewhat happy. it was bare bones as they came back then and towed by our family station wagon. Funny thing my mom and I are the campers in the family. My dad and brothers are not. That popup camper eventually became mine.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
My folks were not campers, as such, although the cabin they built before I was born (we sold it when I was in my early 20s) had fewer amenities than our small TT does. I don't have a photo on the computer.
My husband and I tent camper for 20 years or so. We bought our first popup around the turn of the century, in anticipation of a trip to the rain forests of the PNW. Still haven't gotten there. Bare bones 1984 Palomino Shetland KD1, 6' box, one bunk end; it's the one we renovated over the winter of 2010.

Attachments

• IMG_1012.JPG
    IMG_1012.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 14

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
My first camper was my current camper, lol.

My family didn't camp growing up. I didn't discover "camping" until I attended a music festival in my early 20s. I bought a cheap tent, and some friends had some basic camping supplies, and I had as much or more fun with the "camping" as I did the music.

That was around the same time I met my wife, and after we got married we started tent camping a few times a year. As our boys came along we got a larger tent so we could set up a "pack & play" inside as a crib. They grew up loving camping.

Finally when our boys were 10 and 7 (2014), we got our current camper, which has opened the door up for much more camping, some longer vacation camping trips, and a whole lot of fun.

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
my folks had a early 1960s something Shasta trailer. one with the wings and a orange strip down the side. they bought it in the early 70s, so it was about 10 years old. they towed it with a 4 door Buick Skylark. I remember that the gas tank fill tube was behind the back tag - which was blocked when the camper was hitched up----- In talking to my Dad, he said they had to unhitch every time to refill the gas. Guess that is why we stayed kinda close to home though our longest trip was to the outer banks one year from Northern Va. i had the upper bunk, and to get up into it or down - i had to step on the stove top. made sure i got up early before mom started to cook breakfast.

Fuzzy Bear

Mar 3, 2004
Norwalk CT
Started out in 1962 in tents when I was less than 1 year old. Then moved up to a tent trailer about 1965 which was a luxury. From there through the early 70's dad had a habit of buying a camper, a couple of Shasta's a scotty and a couple with no particular name, he would fix them up and within a year or two would find a new one to fix up. Between 65 and 75 probably had 6 or 8 different ones including a "piggyback" on an old ford pickup with the bed over the cab where my brother and I slept and also rode travelling to and from the campgrounds (don't think you would get away with that anymore). Dad passed away in 75 when was 13 so camping ended until I turned 16 and got my first car. went back to a tent for many years before buying my first popup in the late 80's a SunLite firebird. Camped in that with my wife until the canvas finally dry rotted in the early 2000's and decided I wanted something small and easy to tow and that's when I found my Coleman Columbia which I use to this day. Right now just waiting to find a new TV so we can get back to camping again (hopefully by next spring).

theseus

Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH
The first camper that my wife and I had was a 66 Nimrod Capri. At the time, it was 30 years old, but it was so much better than sleeping on the ground. We did much of the lower 48 states and a majority of the Canadian provinces with it. The awning it had was bigger than the camper itself when open. In fact, it was bigger than the awning on my TT now. We could drag NPS picnic tables under it easily and have plenty of room to move around.

We have a lot of great memories with that camper.

PointyCamper

Nov 25, 2015
Looked kinda like this. Got it in 2nd grade and slept out in the yard in my sleeping bag every summer. Thought I was in 7th heaven.
Tent camped off and on (Maine, new England and all of the Canadian maritimes)- Good days- til we got the Aliner in 2013.
1661298135018.jpeg 1661298135018.jpeg

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
This is similar to the Coleman cabin tent we used in the early 70s. It wasn't cheap. I remember my parents paying $100 for it used. They always took the best care of it. Everytime we got home, it was set up to air out in the sun before being put away. They still have it on a shelf in their garage.
i-img1200x900-1564361178pl0cj0160109.jpg

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
Glad to see the canvas tents; we had a JC Higgins canvas tent complete w/ wooden stakes & ropes, & a canvas dining fly back in the 50s, used 'em thru the late 60s, still remember the smell...

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
First camping outfit was my father's soogan bedroll, ( Cowboy bedroll, consisted of handmade quilt, & waterproof ducking tarp, with cotton 3" ticking pad). We slept on the ground, with a tarp stretched on Ridgeline rope, and staked down with wooden tent pegs. Really old school. Camped like that from two years old, to about 17, you know when you become sofisticated, bought my first Sears tent. Great memories. Seeing all these rigs, and descriptions, have really brought a smile to my old face. By the way, I still have my Father's soogan bedroll in the guest room closet.

maromeo

Jan 6, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
This was what started it all. My parents had a 1973 Steury pop up. There were 7 of us at the time. Had the double dinette unit. Many fond memories and travels.

Fast forward, my husband and I bought a 2002 Viking Legends in 2002 with all the bells and whistles. Loved it for so many years. We traveled over 40,000 miles with it. Made so many of our own family memories. So grateful.

Attachments

• E67B8A71-A617-4015-8A06-6E186E3864C7.jpeg
    E67B8A71-A617-4015-8A06-6E186E3864C7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • B9890F1E-DA3D-42BC-B4FB-A6E2904E6DF5.jpeg
    B9890F1E-DA3D-42BC-B4FB-A6E2904E6DF5.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
Mine personally would be the 87 Coleman Columbia....Growing up Mom & Pops had a small Shasta TT...
Then a 20 ish Ft Nomad TT and when my Pops passed away in 04 they had a Mallard 5th wheel.
I usually slept in my tent growing up as it was easier to sneek out at night.

Fordiesel250

Mar 28, 2010
We bought our inlaws old starcraft pop up which was 12 years old when we bought it. Used it for 4 years and traded it off. Our boys were 10 and 3 and my wife knew every thing about it and taught me what i needed to know. We pulled it all over Texas and Oklahoma with our GMC van. We sure had our share of good and bad times in this trailer. Best and worst of times because it needed TLC and we kept breaking cables while putting it up. Did not know anything about the wiffle tree but looking back i sure wished i did. Fun popup thought

JimmyM

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Franklin, MA
My parents had a 1973 (I think) Apache Ramada that I camped in for several years.
Sorry no pictures.
I bought my first popup in 2000. It was a left over Jayco Heritage Laurel. I had it until 2015.
It was a great pup that we enjoyed for many years.

We're now in a 2015 Starcraft 239TBS hybrid.

Latest posts