Whats the appeal?

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
There are two types of permits that are commonly required out here:

Back country permits - these are for hikers and backpackers. They require a permit so the rangers know they are out there and where they intend to go. If something happens, the rangers want to have a general idea of where folks are so they can focus their attention to those areas and not waste time searching an unoccupied area.

Vehicle campers don't usually require this type of permit because they are only allowed to go so far off a road. They aren't going anywhere they can't be found just by driving the forest roads.

Fire permits - these are simply to allow you to have an open flame outside a designated campground firepit. Out here, you need this permit for any fire that doesn't have an instant off (charcoal requires a permit, propane doesn't). In fire season, you may be required to have a permit for any outdoor flame (even instant off types). And sometimes, they ban all outdoor flames completely.

LongHammer

Aug 25, 2020
We booned to get closer to the trail, we needed to be working on. Driving is not getting any work done or any fun for that matter.. Nonetheless, paying $14 for well water and pit toilets is a steal for us. NFS sites are normally on a nice river or lake and that must be nature? Digging cat holes is not all that much fun either.

Cat holes are a thing of the past. It is 2021 more people are out in the woods than ever before. If you can pick it up you can pack it out. Leave nothin behind but your foot steps.

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
I love to camp around folks and look at different set ups and meet people...but on ocassion
I enjoy a quiet peaceful weekend.
Mostly early spring and fall when i dont need air conditioning.

caverunner17

Jul 22, 2022
Based upon my read of this thread most people boondock for 3 reasons: (1) sites are free and they are cheap, (2) you are out in nature and the only camper around and (3) better sites along rivers, creeks and beaches.
Availability and flexibility is another.

Most of the state parks around here are sold out on weekends months in advance. Forest service campgrounds are a hit-or-miss, depending on how far from Denver and what weekend.

Meanwhile, if I get up Friday after work, I can almost always snag a disbursed site and there's no issue if we don't pack up and leave at 3PM instead of 11AM-12 like most campground have. Same thing if I'm coming up on a Saturday, we can leave in the morning and have camp set up before lunch when campgrounds don't often have check-in until 2.

vagov

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
That is a hard question to answer. There are so many choices and so many roads. Many of the more popular free sites are well documented by other campers who have been there. I make it a habit to write a review of most of the sites I visit. Here is a review I did on a site near me: https://freecampsites.net/#!145178&query=sitedetails

Sometimes I make a YouTube video of the site.
I always enjoy watching your videos!

z.saw

Aug 23, 2022
I’m brand new to camping with a camper but the big appeal and why I want to get into Boondocking is my schedule varies a lot. I’ll often end up working weekends I wasn’t supposed to but have other time off through the week here and there where I could camp. Good campgrounds are booked 6+ months ahead of time around me, but there is a beautiful spot by a lake you can boondocks at only a 30 minute drive away, so it would be easy for me to scoot out there for a night or two last minute.