Wheel turning sideways?!

neeners73

Apr 30, 2016
Yes another wheel post. I've got a new (to me) pup. It seems when I am pushing my pup in the driveway the wheel goes sideways and the only way to straighten out is to jack it up. I've tried pulling forward and backward to straighten it out. No dice. This is a new wheel and tongue jack. No I can't back this up using my tow vehicle in my very narrow driveway. What am I doing wrong? Thinking maybe I need a trailer valet, as I am not in my 20s (or 30s) anymore. 0703221038.jpg

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
Yes another wheel post. I've got a new (to me) pup. It seems when I am pushing my pup in the driveway the wheel goes sideways and the only way to straighten out is to jack it up. I've tried pulling forward and backward to straighten it out. No dice. This is a new wheel and tongue jack. No I can't back this up using my tow vehicle in my very narrow driveway. What am I doing wrong? Thinking maybe I need a trailer valet, as I am not in my 20s (or 30s) anymore. View attachment 85598
The wheel is a castor wheel. You are probably pushing it so it wants to turn around.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Not to be mean or anything, but learning how to back a trailer up in tight spaces is the easiest way to move it. I'm guessing your trailer weighs in at around 2000lbs on the low side, that's a lot to push and asking a lot for a castoring wheel to work as intended.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
Our trailer is around 1,800 Lbs loaded. We often push the tongue around to get the trailer exactly where we want it - and to help with hookup. And back kat home we back the trailer in and then - by hand - rotate it 180 degrees for solar and for ease of access thru the camper door.

neeners73

Apr 30, 2016
Thanks all for your suggestions! Our driveway isn't straight and is very narrow so backing it all the way in is not an option. Camper is about 2k lbs. The trailer valet is a little spendy, but sounds like it will make life easier and rubber wheels will be better than the plastic crapola for sure. Perhaps 10 yrs ago we could easily push, but post brain surgery (for my better half) and other ailments, we are all about mods that will make camping easy and accessible. We aren't ready to give it up yet!

Our old camper seemed to have much of the weight at the back; this one seems to have a bulk of the weight on the tongue jack. I thought maybe we were doing something wrong- but seems like some kind of dolly is the way to go.

Arruba

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 28, 2014
Central Oregon
Did you consider a front receiver hitch?
It’s not as far fetched an idea as it may seem, depending on what you tow with. Around here you see them periodically on trucks with slide in campers. They come in handy for long boat ramps we get here when the water gets low. I’ll guess you can still find the clamp on ones if you have a real front bumper.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited: