When the kids grow up and start complaining about going.

Brian Wilson

Sep 28, 2019
We found that it helps to go where the kids will have an interest in the location. If we go to a campground where there is nothing to do but sit around the fire and sip coffee, the kids hate it. They get bored. My son likes to fish and my wife and daughter like to hike, so we search for places with lakes and woods. My son and I will go off on our own and fish for a bit while my wife and daughter will stay at camp and enjoy some girl time. The next day, my son and I will stay at camp and relax while the girls go hiking. Sometimes we all go hiking. So far, they still enjoy going. I hope they don't grow out of it. Good luck!!

O'ville

I let my son bring a buddy when we go. If he doesn't want to go we dont force it for weekends. Anything longer then that he comes no exceptions. Even if a friend can join or not. He will pout for a day or two then he's good once he gets out fishing in the kayaks. My older son stopped joining us around 17. He's 21 now and takes the pup when we are not using it with a couple of friends. We are still not "cool enough" for him I guess! He will make an appearance for a couple of nights if we are week long or more camping and not to far from home. But I'm thinking in the next couple of years it will be just me and the wife going plus the dogs of course I would never leave them behind.

Sotovoce

Jun 27, 2015
Georgia
Involve your daughter in planning the trip. I don't recall my children bringing friends on our family trips, but both camped with friends with their Scout troops. Both are married with families now and have their own campers. I hope you can look forward to that.

Last July we had sort of a mini family reunion at one of the State Parks in the Georgia mountains. We had five sites clustered together for our nine adults and six children. Only one of the adult granddaughters was missing. It was hot, but the weather was otherwise great. We had so much fun we're planning another for this spring break.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
Involve your daughter in planning the trip. I don't recall my children bringing friends on our family trips, but both camped with friends with their Scout troops. Both are married with families now and have their own campers. I hope you can look forward to that.

Last July we had sort of a mini family reunion at one of the State Parks in the Georgia mountains. We had five sites clustered together for our nine adults and six children. Only one of the adult granddaughters was missing. It was hot, but the weather was otherwise great. We had so much fun we're planning another for this spring break.

I really hope this is in my future. I can't help but seeing family groups like this whenever we camp and feeling pangs of jealousy. My family growing up didn't camp, and my siblings and my wife's siblings wouldn't be seen camping if you paid them to do it. So while we've made wonderful memories camping, it hasn't been an extended family activity. Now my oldest is 18 and going off to college this fall so I know my camping days with him are numbered, unless he stays close and we can camp with his family someday...