Where to buy tires for my PUP

bupkis

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
LRC will be fine, ~1000lb/tire max pressure ~90psi
LRD will be fine with ~1250lb/tire max pressure ~105 psi

I believe my 4.8 x 12 LRC were rated ~900lb @80 psi, that pressure was difficult to achieve with my compressor and required I buy a high pressure tire gauge.

Jim Harvey

Apr 9, 2018
Uxbridge Canada
LRC will be fine, ~1000lb/tire max pressure ~90psi
LRD will be fine with ~1250lb/tire max pressure ~105 psi

I believe my 4.8 x 12 LRC were rated ~900lb @80 psi, that pressure was difficult to achieve with my compressor and required I buy a high pressure tire gauge.
Any consensus on the actual tire pressure to use? Say you mounted LRD (for extra insurance) but the weight is less than the capacity of a LRC, would you go 90 or 105 lbs?

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
As i dont know the weight of the camper each time i take it out, not do i know the specs of the tires and how much weight they hold at diffrent pressures, its easier to just fully inflate them. No guesswork that way. As for the consensus, there is none. I go out with full psi in my tires.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Any consensus on the actual tire pressure to use? Say you mounted LRD (for extra insurance) but the weight is less than the capacity of a LRC, would you go 90 or 105 lbs?

105 psi.. You'll get all kinds of answers.. you'll have people who are convinced that you need to continually weigh your trailer, factor in ambient temperature and consult charts to establish the correct pressure, Ironically many of these folks are the same ones that say to inflate your after market non oem vehicle tires to the sticker on the door jamd.. .. Others will for some unknown reason tell you to run them 10 psi lower then the sidewall so the tire doesn't explode when once it heats up. (infact this is exactly what it will do running at a lower psi), then there is the ignorance is bliss answer.. check them once and don't worry about it..

I myself, run trailer tires at the max psi shown on the sidewall.. I run my vehicle tires just shy of the max pressure on the sidewall as well..

Spaceace5150

Oct 1, 2014
Probably will go to Discount Tire for mine. Does anyone know if they do any work on the bearings (greasing)?

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
Ironically many of these folks are the same ones that say to inflate your after market non oem vehicle tires to the sticker on the door jamb.. I run my vehicle tires just shy of the max pressure on the sidewall as well..
If you replace the OEM tires, with the same size tires, the load on them does not change, so no need to increase tire pressure.

Jun 13, 2020
Good morning everyone !! We need some advice regarding tires. We have a 2000 Dutchman pup which we've had for 3 years. We have taken it camping 6 x. The tires look good as well as the spare but after reading other posts about tires, we're wondering if we should replace them before venturing out this year. We have no idea if the ones on the pup are original or not but the pup was in pristine condition.. The owner didn't use it much. If so, where do you suggest buying them and who would mount them. I'm assuming I can't buy them at my local tire dealer ( Bell Tire). Happy Trails !!

The guys from etrailer.com were very helpful to me when I needed to purchase tires for my pup! highly recommend.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Underinflating a lt tire does not make it a p tire at its max load. If you really wanted to see if there was a diffrence you would need the manafatures specs. Using a psi chart for a tire that was not designed for a diffrent use is not a good idea. Sometimes its not the load that needs to be lifted but the squishness of the sidewalls. Thats probably the reason you bought the lt tires to begin with, for a stiffer ride in the rear. If you dont inflate the tires properly, you really didnt need the lt tires to begin with.

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
The answer to that question is a never ending debate. I've tried varying pressure and running max pressure. Never found a gnat's behinds difference one way or the other. Personally run at or near max pressure regardless of load.

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
Underinflating a LT tire does not make it a P tire at its max load. If you really wanted to see if there was a difference you would need the manufacture's specs. Using a psi chart for a tire that was not designed for a different use is not a good idea. Sometimes its not the load that needs to be lifted but the squishiness of the sidewalls. That's probably the reason you bought the LT tires to begin with, for a stiffer ride in the rear. If you don't inflate the tires properly, you really didn't need the LT tires to begin with.
I know a Michelin tire tech, so I emailed him yesterday.
My email: I've got a question on Popup Portal and I'm trying to figure out some background. Say on the old F150, I change from the OEM tire of P225/70R16 to a LT225/70R16. I say you can stay with the tire pressure specs on the door jamb, 29/32 psi, for the LT tire. He says the pressure needs to increase. He runs close to maximum tire pressure, which to me makes no sense. Mind sharing your thoughts?
His response: You shouldn't exceed the max pressure of the rim itself. The LT has a higher max load at a higher max pressure. But to know proper inflation you need to look in the manufacturer pressure-load table. That means that a LT will pretty much have the same inflation as a P, but at the same load. Once you've exceeded the P tire load, yes more psi is in spec. XL tires have higher rating than 'standard load' P. You are correct.

Ronal Owens

Jun 27, 2021
I bought Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST Radial Tire on amazon and am very pleased with it. These tires have a flat tread that allows the entire tread to rest on the ground, providing much better traction.

Last edited:

Latest posts