Where would you spend your money?!?

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Because you live in such a hot climate I would think you'll regret not having an AC.

Things like an awning are not a deal breaker, the bag awnings are very cheap to buy (although I hear lead time for delivery on them is like 6months right now)

You can convert the lift to a power lift, but I'm considering removing mine for a manual crank, as it's exceptionally noisy, consumes a lot of batt power (we rarely get powered sites) and it's prone to failure.

You can do a lot of upgrades to the older trailer with the money you save

These are just my thoughts on what you provided. Go with what your gut tells you. You'll enjoy either one!

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
@jmkay1 would you know if the Fleetwood is aluminum roof or filon? The owner is telling me it’s an all aluminum roof but it doesn’t look it from pictures or from what I’m reading about the 2007 year…
I’m afraid I don’t know that answer. I was told filon but not 100% sure that’s accurate. Most aluminum roofs I’ve seen have seams. If no seam I’m leaning towards filon.

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
Because you live in such a hot climate I would think you'll regret not having an AC.

Things like an awning are not a deal breaker, the bag awnings are very cheap to buy (although I hear lead time for delivery on them is like 6months right now)

You can convert the lift to a power lift, but I'm considering removing mine for a manual crank, as it's exceptionally noisy, consumes a lot of batt power (we rarely get powered sites) and it's prone to failure.

You can do a lot of upgrades to the older trailer with the money you save

These are just my thoughts on what you provided. Go with what your gut tells you. You'll enjoy either one!
They both have AC just the 2007 Fleetwood has an "upgraded" that is 1500BTU from what selling telling me... He also told me the roof is aluminum but after looking at pictures again and researching more, its a Filon roof which I'm a bit scared of...

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
I’m afraid I don’t know that answer. I was told filon but not 100% sure that’s accurate. Most aluminum roofs I’ve seen have seams. If no seam I’m leaning towards filon.
Thanks. I did some more research and 2006/2007 Fleetwood Evolutions has Filon Roof... I'm a bit nervous about that... I'm back to 2019 Somerset for the 1 piece aluminum roof but now its gonna be hard to convince wife to spend another 5300..

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
I loved the one piece filon roof on our Palomino.. only seams were on the sides and edges. It was written right in our Palomino manual that for tiny "spider cracks" to use clear nail polish or crazy glue to seal them.

Myself , I would take a filon roof over aluminum any day. Apart for nspecting the very few seams and resealing as required, it was pretty much a maintenance free roof.

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
Well just an update. I have been researching as much as I can and have ruled out the Fleetwood due to the Filon roof. Seems they had so many failures it made Fleetwood go bankrupt? They only made that style roof for 2-3 years before realizing the issues. I just don't have the time, skills, or want to deal with fixing the fleetwood roof if it starts leaking... Also the buyer, after a few days of talking to him, just admitted he had leaking issues but repaired it a few years ago. I don't trust i wont have major issues. Everything I read on the Somerset is very positive about the build quality. The one piece aluminum roof just seems to be the better roof and less likely for major failures. I know I'm spending an extra 5k, but it seems the Somerset is the better deal when looking at other units for sale and the price they asking or asking price below NADA value. I feel even if we don't like pop-up camping, in a year I can get most of my money back.

I'm making the 4 hour drive to go look and purchase tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the help and information.

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Take your time looking over every inch of the trailer. Do all the lights, receptacles etc. work? Look for any signs of water damage. Set it up and down and make sure everything works. Even though it's a newer unit a lot could have happened to it dependant on how the previous owners cared for it.

Remember to not look too excited about it and push to get a deal by mentioning any minor issues you see. Even in today's market you can still get a deal. If they're making payments on a new toy already then they may have some motivation to get rid of this one ASAP. You may not have to spend as much as 5k extra after all. Best of luck
Cheers

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
Take your time looking over every inch of the trailer. Do all the lights, receptacles etc. work? Look for any signs of water damage. Set it up and down and make sure everything works. Even though it's a newer unit a lot could have happened to it dependant on how the previous owners cared for it.

Remember to not look too excited about it and push to get a deal by mentioning any minor issues you see. Even in today's market you can still get a deal. If they're making payments on a new toy already then they may have some motivation to get rid of this one ASAP. You may not have to spend as much as 5k extra after all. Best of luck
Cheers
Thanks a lot! I will definitely look at the things you mentioned! This is our first pop up so I'm gonna take it slow and try to go over it extremely well. I'm pretty sure they are asking what they owe on it, but I will try to get it down even more. They are very motivated to sell due to their personal reason.

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
you've made a decision, great! I've been following this thread with excitement for you. Please post a pic when it's yours, good luck!
If it ends up working out like I hope, I will be posting pictures in a few days! If not, the search goes on!

Cody B

Aug 8, 2022
got the Somerset! It’s in great shape and everything works as intended. It’s much bigger than I thought but that’s a good thing. We camped in driveway Friday night and kids are super excited! Got so distracted I didn’t take pictures of it until today when it’s packed up in garage haha. Thanks again for all the advice.

Attachments

• C0A47414-D40F-46B0-854A-F0A76CCACE07.jpeg
    C0A47414-D40F-46B0-854A-F0A76CCACE07.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 36

dupreet

Super Active Member
Jul 5, 2007
High Point, North Carolina
Hi all,
I am buying an Evolution E3 Deck Friday! But I have 2 choices... Looking for some opinions from more experienced owners as I have never owned a Pop-Up. If it was your money, which one would you pick and why? I understand prices are high now, but it is what it is... Is saving 5K worth it?

Option 1(leaning towards this one) - 2019 SomerSet Evolution E3 Off-road - Garage Kept, no issues, has factory awning, power up top, good off-road tires, Price $15,300 Firm.

Option 2(cost savings) - -2007 Fleetwood Evolution E3 - Garage Kept, no issues, great shape, upgraded AC unit, comes with sway bar system, NO Awning, NOT power up top, standard street tires, Price #10K firm.
I’d go with the newer unit. Make sure they demonstrate EVERYTHING, including popping up and down. Check every nook and cranny for any soft spots, including under sofas, cabinets, and under the rig.

i am partial to the coleman fleets... mine has been almost issue free for 22 years... and yes.. it is 100% garage kept.. that would be my choice but have owner set it up for u and crank that a/c down while u r checking it out... make sure it runs with no cut offs.. on a 80 degree day it will , and should run continously no problem.. look under unit for any possible damage...good luck

Eville Edna

Mar 22, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Hi all,
I am buying an Evolution E3 Deck Friday! But I have 2 choices... Looking for some opinions from more experienced owners as I have never owned a Pop-Up. If it was your money, which one would you pick and why? I understand prices are high now, but it is what it is... Is saving 5K worth it?

Option 1(leaning towards this one) - 2019 SomerSet Evolution E3 Off-road - Garage Kept, no issues, has factory awning, power up top, good off-road tires, Price $15,300 Firm.

Option 2(cost savings) - -2007 Fleetwood Evolution E3 - Garage Kept, no issues, great shape, upgraded AC unit, comes with sway bar system, NO Awning, NOT power up top, standard street tires, Price #10K firm.

I have a 2007 E1 - this thing is rock solid.

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
Way to go Brother, when you do your first camp send a couple of pics. Now be like the rest of us, and outfit with all the good stuff. Take your time think it through then buy it all. lol Joking aside, take what you need to make a good camp. Do not clutter with a bunch of things that are not needed. If in doubt ask, we can help. Enjoy the camp. See you on the trail.

Icradar

Jun 30, 2016
Hi all,

Hi Cody,

I own a Coleman 2009 E2. I agree manual lift is piece of mind. Coleman popup parts sells an adaptor to allow the use of a portable drill for lifting the popup. I purchased one recently but I have not tried it yet. Cliff Richards has an extensive portfolio regarding E2,E3 on popup portal. I'm sure through google you'd be able to find an awning for the 2007 way cheaper then the added cost for the newer somerset. Also replacing the tires and spare to good off road tires would be reasonable. I do think you would have some funds left over to really make the 2007 fleetwood your own. My final suggestion do check the operation of the slideout on both. Although the somersets look pretty good, I'm putting my vote to purchasing the older 2007 fleetwood E2.

dreeveal

Jul 20, 2017
Update!! I went with the 2019 SomerSet Evolution E3 Off-Road!!

Reasons - Unfortunately for the seller, they were going through a divorce and had to dump it off fast. I paid off their loan and took it home. Paid 6-8K under what others asking for same year/model. Also, the Fleetwood roof scared me a bit and the seller was going out of town and wanted me to buy if without being able to pop it up!?!?! After I made it clear that was not gonna happen, he agree to change his schedule to allow it to be popped up, but then the day before I was going to drive out there he "remembered" he did some roof repairs on the inside and never recovered with new vinyl. I didnt even waste my time looking at it as I lost trust in the seller. I am happy with my SomerSet and the price I paid! Thanks for the information!

Hi all,

I own a Fleetwood Evolution E3 and my boss has the Somerset. I think this was a pretty even toss up, but I still think you made the right choice. Both are built well, especially for a pop up. Unfortunately the roof on pretty much every fleetwood E3 will need to be addressed within the first 5-10 years (mine was done with Rhinoliner). You had the extra money with the Fleetwood to do all the necessary upgrades, but then you would have had a much older trailer and you would have had to spent a lot of time getting it all done. You can't be sure when the tires/brakes/bearings have been done. You can't be sure if the water heater had been properly cared for. Not sure when the detectors have been replaced, the propane regulator, when the cables have been greased, etc., etc., etc. Having the awning and pop up motor are huge positives. So yeah, I think you made the right call, but couldn't have really made the wrong call. these trailers are fun, and with the deck on front, it opens up a lot of great options to haul a scooter, a couple of dirt bikes, an ATV (it's too small for a side by side unfortunately :)).

Have a great time with your new trailer!