Where's Orchid?

Muller 5

Jan 6, 2019
STL
It's strange. I joined in January long after you started your break, but I've come to rely on your common sense posts and was concerned when I found out you had been a consistent poster who disappeared. You have reached people you don't even know. Welcome back and I'm wishing you a speedy recovery.

Orchid

Sharp Shootin' Grandma
May 8, 2011
Florida by way of WV and MD
I still have an Inbox full of messages yet to be read. I'm not ignoring them, just getting up the emotional strength to read them. This thread literally made me cry. I will be replying to each PM eventually.

I don't have Lupus, but I have battled kidney failure, and then most recently, my liver started throwing out bad test numbers. So in addition to all my many surgeries, I felt as though I was just falling apart and life was sort of over. I also broke a rib shortly after my knee replacement in March. As of now, everything is under control, just pain in the rib. Even the newly replaced knee is doing well.

Since last summer, I have had surgeries for my stomach, intestines, esophagus, and left knee. My internal organs seem to be behaving themselves. I can walk again, even though it's with only one good knee. That was the worst part.

I just remembered that I don't have a "friend request" box on facebook, so if anyone would like to be friends, please send me a PM with your name and I will add you. I was just getting too many friend requests (dozens per day) from Middle Easterners. I guess someone must have put my name, or a link to my profile, in a group or something.

Not a day went by that I didn't think about my friends here. Depression does weird things to people, like made me actually distance myself from those who could have kept me in a happy place. Much love to all of you!

jumpoff

I'm in a camping state of mind
Nov 3, 2015
North East Florida
Orchid.. glad you are recovering from your surgeries. I saw this thread and I really couldn't imagine the portal without your contributions. It's hard to say welcome back because I haven't been here in an awfully long time myself. My spouse had a career change and it has made camping time or any vacation time together unrealistic. I'm no good at camping by myself so the camper sits in the garage...for now.

MrsSquid

Aug 31, 2016
Virginia
I still have an Inbox full of messages yet to be read. I'm not ignoring them, just getting up the emotional strength to read them. This thread literally made me cry. I will be replying to each PM eventually.

I don't have Lupus, but I have battled kidney failure, and then most recently, my liver started throwing out bad test numbers. So in addition to all my many surgeries, I felt as though I was just falling apart and life was sort of over. I also broke a rib shortly after my knee replacement in March. As of now, everything is under control, just pain in the rib. Even the newly replaced knee is doing well.

Since last summer, I have had surgeries for my stomach, intestines, esophagus, and left knee. My internal organs seem to be behaving themselves. I can walk again, even though it's with only one good knee. That was the worst part.

I just remembered that I don't have a "friend request" box on facebook, so if anyone would like to be friends, please send me a PM with your name and I will add you. I was just getting too many friend requests (dozens per day) from Middle Easterners. I guess someone must have put my name, or a link to my profile, in a group or something.

Not a day went by that I didn't think about my friends here. Depression does weird things to people, like made me actually distance myself from those who could have kept me in a happy place. Much love to all of you!

Wow, just wow. What strength you have. Way to fight back.

epcotisbest

Feb 12, 2019
Myself and my wife both have some health issues, and it is an every day battle, but the biggest issue, for me is the depression thing. It is a lying, sneaky, formidable foe.
Good luck with everything.
We were just talking about where you mentioned you live and know we could not handle the summer heat, but do like to visit that area.
Several years ago we ran across a restaurant in the little town of Aluchua, The Conestoga or something like that and we would stop by there for lunch on the way to WDW. Did that for several years, but have not been in a few years. Might have to try it again if it is still there.

JunieB

May 8, 2018
Central Florida
Hooray! Glad you're back feeling a little better. Bless you on your upcoming surgeries! Funny how you have become a famous popup portal personality!

This has me thinking that I'll have to put Popup portal in my will...maybe a donation but certain a notification that I'm gone.

Wow TZ Martin that is so generous of an idea. I will have to consider that as well. The "Popuportal Foundation" will perhaps, have to be designated/ organized first as a Tax-exempt foundation? Just an idea.

JunieB

May 8, 2018
Central Florida
Orchid, so glad to hear that you are back in sort-of commission. I have missed you. We all missed you at the FL rally. We know there are plenty of strong people here on the forum, but I think you take the prize for this year at least.
I am trying to get my own FB account back into commission. They don't make that easy, when you have been off their site for a couple years. Still trying.

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
Looks like Orchid is taking a break again. Can't tell from her profile when she last posted. Pray that everything is ok. We are close to heading to Florida, and I knew she is the Florida guru.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Ok , she must have been following here, as she just replied to me! She is fine, just not letting the covid stuff get her down. Shes strong and just needs a break from the rat race, politics and all around news of today. Shes atually smarter then me when it comes to that. Maybe we should all take an orchid break and camp for a bit!

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
We are close to heading to Florida
We were going to try Florida again this year, but opted to stay closer to home for spring break. Going to OBX in June and Boone/Blowing Rock area in September, but otherwise we are going to sit tight right here in SC. There are more great places to camp in SC than I can count without a list and most of them within two hours drive. If the 'rona panic settles we might head to Florida for spring break 2022.

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
We were going to try Florida again this year, but opted to stay closer to home for spring break. Going to OBX in June and Boone/Blowing Rock area in September, but otherwise we are going to sit tight right here in SC. There are more great places to camp in SC than I can count without a list and most of them within two hours drive. If the 'rona panic settles we might head to Florida for spring break 2022.
We prefer Florida in April. The traffic is gone and the bugs have not arrived yet.