Would you upgrade to the air pole

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...0.7724857.normal_offer.d_image.6f867f4cWN95B9

This is just an example, but they use something similar on the OPUS air. Its basically a balloon in a nylonish shell, when inflated, becomes firm.

opus calls it the air beam.

But I am thinking it wouldn't cost that much more to put these in our existing popups. As long as the end have the eyelets for the existing mounting holes.
Imagine not having to climb onto the bunk to put up poles. If they could make a retrofit version, Id really consider buying it.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
They have been using air frame tents in Europe and Australia for several years now. I don't recall seeing any significant complaints regarding leaks and excessive wear. My biggest issue with that style for a pup is it limits you to a window unit type A/C, and I prefer a roof unit for TX summers.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
Lets see... I can take 3-5 seconds to click a pole in place on each end, or I can pump up a bladder (a lot of labor with a hand pump, or a noisy/battery eating auto pump) that will eventually leak and of course I won't find that out until we're out camping and we no longer have a bed.

Yeah... I think my decision is clear.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I too haven't found it to be much effort to do the bunk poles. I do have to climb on the one bunk without a sofa at its base to do it though--I can't reach the ceiling in my popup. It's still a nothing job. I mean, it can even wait until bedtime when you'd be climbing up there anyway. Not that I have, because it's kinda a nothing job. :)

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I'm going down the route how would it handle bad weather? Gosh knows bad thunderstorms can bring heavy wind/rain/hail been through quite a few nasty storms in my tent and saw it nearly flattened if the wind was strong enough. I can't see how air beams will be strong enough to handle the brunt force of wind against the side of the camper. The camper would be eating people alive.[LOL]

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
I'm going down the route how would it handle bad weather? Gosh knows bad thunderstorms can bring heavy wind/rain/hail been through quite a few nasty storms in my tent and saw it nearly flattened if the wind was strong enough. I can't see how air beams will be strong enough to handle the brunt force of wind against the side of the camper. The camper would be eating people alive.[LOL]
A rigid pole does not bend. I wouldn't suggest air poles for the center section with a roof and possibly an ac. But it would work decently well for the bunk ends.

Latest posts