Yellowstone closed !

Overland

May 1, 2013
Bristol, Pa
@MileHigh, Are you coming in through the South entrance?

From what I've seen, it look like the lower loop will be fine by then. I'm waiting to see video from the Lamar Valley. I hope that didn't suffer the same as the North entrance. Cooke City will be in bad shape as far as supplies go. I can't see tanker trucks making it in over the pass, but I could be wrong.

From what I understand the road was washed away at Soda Butte in Lamar Valley. IIRC that is just east of the employee lodging area.

gladecreekwy

Super Active Member
Sep 25, 2016
Jackson Wyoming
I have reservations to stay at Grant Village for 6 nights in late August and then Colter Bay for another 3. Based on the superintendent's media update yesterday, I'm going to keep the reservations for now.

Though I had several back country hikes planned in the North loop, there is still plenty to see and do in the South. Was sure hoping to drive through Lamar Valley and into Silvergate and Cooke City but will have to wait until another time now...
Definitely keep your spot. Everything except the north gate should be normal by then. You can always drive to the northern parts of park from GT

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
Well, it will be a long time before the North entrance will reopen. I'm guessing there'll be a lot of environmental impact studies and such, it will be a chance to correct mistakes of the past. My money is on them putting in a viaduct like the one on I-70 in Glenwood Canyon Colorado. As for the Northeast entrance which passes through the Lamar Valley (route 212), I'm thinking that could be open within a year or maybe by early 2024. I've traveled this road quite a few times, having camped in the Beartooth Mountains. Of course the other end at Red Lodge also took a lot of damage from flooding at the same time.

gladecreekwy

Super Active Member
Sep 25, 2016
Jackson Wyoming
Well, it will be a long time before the North entrance will reopen. I'm guessing there'll be a lot of environmental impact studies and such, it will be a chance to correct mistakes of the past. My money is on them putting in a viaduct like the one on I-70 in Glenwood Canyon Colorado. As for the Northeast entrance which passes through the Lamar Valley (route 212), I'm thinking that could be open within a year or maybe by early 2024. I've traveled this road quite a few times, having camped in the Beartooth Mountains. Of course the other end at Red Lodge also took a lot of damage from flooding at the same time.
Park employees have been using the old Gardiner road. They may make that the permanent way

Latest posts